A Vector Error Correction Model for the Relationship between Public Debt and Inflation in Germany
In the paper, the interaction between public debt and inflation including mutual impulse response will be analysed. The European sovereign debt crisis brought once again the focus on the consequences of public debt in combination with an expansive monetary policy for the development of consumer prices. Public deficits can lead to inflation if the money supply is expansive. The high level of national debt, not only in the Euro-crisis countries, and the strong increase in total assets of the European Central Bank, as a result of the unconventional monetary policy, caused fears on inflating national debt. The transmission from public debt to inflation through money supply and long-term interest rate will be shown in the paper. Based on these theoretical thoughts, the variables public debt, consumer price index, money supply m3 and long-term interest rate will be analysed within a vector error correction model estimated by Johansen approach. In the empirical part of the article, quarterly data for Germany from 1991 by 2010 are to be examined.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: August-Bebel-Str. 89, 14482 Potsdam|
Web page: http://www.uni-potsdam.de/wiso_dekanat/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2010.
"Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy,"
IMF Staff Position Notes
2010/03, International Monetary Fund.
- Majid Taghavi, 2000. "Debt, growth and inflation in large European economies: a vector auto-regression analysis," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 159-173.
- Giannitsarou, Chryssi & Scott, Andrew, 2006.
"Inflation Implications of Rising Government Debt,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates,"
in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly
Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973, 06-2016.
- Hansen, Peter Reinhard & Johansen, Soren, 1998. "Workbook on Cointegration," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198776079, December.
- Carmen M. & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011.
"The Liquidation of Government Debt,"
Working Paper Series
WP11-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Carmen Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2015. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," IMF Working Papers 15/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," NBER Working Papers 16893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," BIS Working Papers 363, Bank for International Settlements.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Bleaney, Michael, 1996. "Inflation and Public Debt," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(66), pages 141-55, June.
- Paul De Grauwe, 2011. "The European Central Bank: Lender of Last Resort in the Government Bond Markets?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3569, CESifo Group Munich.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Uwe Wagschal & Georg Wenzelburger & Thieß Petersen & Ole Wintermann, 2009. "Determinanten der Staatsverschuldung in den deutschen Bundesländern," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer;German National Library of Economics, vol. 89(3), pages 204-212, March.
- Luis CatÃ£o & Marco Terrones, 2003.
"Fiscal Deficits and Inflation,"
IMF Working Papers
03/65, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pot:statdp:51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Winkler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.