Capital services estimates in Portuguese industries, 1977-2003
This paper presents capital services estimates for 26 Portuguese industries for the 1977-2003 period. The estimation procedure follows an integrated approach under which the flows of capital services are approximated as a proportion of the capital stock converted into standard efficiency units. Our findings suggest a close proximity between the evolution of capital flows and the observed fluctuations of Portuguese macroeconomic growth. TFP growth estimates based on growth accounting reveal, furthermore, a very disappointing performance of the Portuguese economy during the period under study,with an average annual rate of TFP growth of 0.8% being observed. Performance varies across industries, but the bulk of activities show very modest rates of TFP growth.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200 PORTO|
Web page: http://www.fep.up.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aurora Teixeira & Natércia Fortuna, 2003. "Human Capital, Innovation Capability and Economic Growth," FEP Working Papers 131, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Gu, Wulong & Baldwin, John R., 2007. "Multifactor Productivity in Canada: An Evaluation of Alternative Methods of Estimating Capital Services," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007009e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Pina, Alvaro Manuel & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2005.
"Comparing macroeconomic returns on human and public capital: An empirical analysis of the Portuguese case (1960-2001),"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 585-598, July.
- Miguel ST. Aubyn & Álvaro Pina, 2004. "Comparing Macroeconomic Returns on human and Public Capital: An Empirical Analysis of the Portuguese Case (1960-2001)," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/07, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Christophe Kamps, 2006.
"New Estimates of Government Net Capital Stocks for 22 OECD Countries, 1960-2001,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(1), pages 6.
- Christophe Kamps, 2005. "New Estimates of Government Net Capital Stocks for 22 OECD Countries 1960-2001," Public Economics 0506015, EconWPA.
- Christophe Kamps, 2004. "New Estimates of Government Net Capital Stocks for 22 OECD Countries 1960-2001," IMF Working Papers 04/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Hulten, Charles R & Wykoff, Frank C, 1996. "Issues in the Measurement of Economic Depreciation: Introductory Remarks," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 10-23, January.
- Lains, Pedro, 2003. "Catching up to the European core: Portuguese economic growth, 1910-1990," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 369-386, October.
- João Amador & Carlos Coimbra, 2007. "Characteristics of the Portuguese Economic Growth: What has been Missing?," Working Papers w200708, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Marcel Timmer, 1999. "Indonesia's Ascent on the Technology Ladder: Capital Stock and Total Factor Productivity in Indonesian Manufacturing, 1975-95," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 75-97.
- Paul Schreyer & Pierre-Emmanuel Bignon & Julien Dupont, 2003. "OECD Capital Services Estimates: Methodology and a First Set of Results," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2003/6, OECD Publishing.
- Paul Schreyer, 2003. "Capital Stocks, Capital Services and Multi-Factor Productivity Measures," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2003(2), pages 163-184.
- Mas, Matilde & Milana, Carlo & Serrano, Lorenzo, 2008. "Spain and Italy: Catching up and falling behind. Two different tales of productivity slowdown," MPRA Paper 15834, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2003. "Capital stocks, capital services, and depreciation: an integrated framework," Bank of England working papers 192, Bank of England.
- Dale W. Jorgenson, 1995. "Productivity, Volume 1: Postwar US Economic Growth," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100495, March.
- Robert Inklaar & Marcel P. Timmer & Bart van Ark, 2008. "Market services productivity across Europe and the US," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 139-194, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.