Entry and Accommodation in Airline Markets: Easyjet Caught in the Middle on the London-Grenoble Route
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Harumi Ito & Darin Lee, 2003. "Incumbent Responses to Lower Cost Entry: Evidence from the U.S. Airline Industry," Working Papers 2003-22, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Ming Hsin Lin, 2005. "Alliances and entry in a simple airline network," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(4), pages 1-11.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2005:i:4:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2008.
"How Do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1611-1633.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2004. "How Do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines," Working Papers 04-04, NET Institute, revised Dec 2004.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2005. "How do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines," NBER Working Papers 11072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sickles, Robin C., 2000.
"Capacity and product market competition: measuring market power in a 'puppy-dog' industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 845-865, August.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Robin C. Sickles, 1997. "Capacity and Product Market Competition: Measuring Market Power in a "Puppy-Dog" Industry," CIG Working Papers FS IV 97-31, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Richard Schmalensee, 1978. "Entry Deterrence in the Ready-to-Eat Breakfast Cereal Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 305-327, Autumn.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Tirole, Jean, 1984. "The Fat-Cat Effect, the Puppy-Dog Ploy, and the Lean and Hungry Look," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 361-366, May.
- Morrison, William G., 2004. "Dimensions of predatory pricing in air travel markets," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 87-95.
- Gorin, Thomas & Belobaba, Peter, 2004. "Impacts of entry in airline markets: effects of revenue management on traditional measures of airline performance," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 257-268.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-857, November.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Valido, Jorge & Socorro, M. Pilar & Medda, Francesca, 2020. "Airport capacity and entry deterrence: Low cost versus full service airlines," Economics of Transportation, Elsevier, vol. 22(C).
- Jorge Valido & M. Pilar Socorro & Francesca Medda, 2013. "DYPES: Vertical differentiation, schedule delay and entry deterrence: Low cost vs. full service airlines," Working Papers 2013-05, FEDEA.
- Federico Ciliberto & Zhou Zhang, 2017.
"Multiple Equilibria And Deterrence In Airline Markets,"
Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 55(1), pages 319-338, January.
- Ciliberto, Federico & Zhang, Zhou, 2014. "Multiple Equilibria and Deterrence in Airline Markets," MPRA Paper 53232, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Philip G. Gayle & Xin Xie, 2018. "Entry Deterrence And Strategic Alliances," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 56(3), pages 1898-1924, July.
- Koski, Heli A. & Majumdar, Sumit K., 2002. "Paragons of virtue? Competitor entry and the strategies of incumbents in the U.S. local telecommunications industry," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 453-480, December.
- Ana Espínola-Arredondo & Félix Muñoz-García, 2016. "An excessive development of green products?," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 101-129, May.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2011.
"Strategic Entry Deterrence and the Behavior of Pharmaceutical Incumbents Prior to Patent Expiration,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 1-36, February.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2007. "Strategic Entry Deterrence and the Behavior of Pharmaceutical Incumbents Prior to Patent Expiration," NBER Working Papers 13069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Belleflamme,Paul & Peitz,Martin, 2015. "Industrial Organization," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107687899.
- Gayle, Philip G. & Wu, Chi-Yin, 2013.
"A re-examination of incumbents’ response to the threat of entry: Evidence from the airline industry,"
Economics of Transportation, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 119-130.
- Gayle, Philip & Wu, Chi-Yin, 2012. "A Re-examination of Incumbents’ Response to the Threat of Entry: Evidence from the Airline Industry," MPRA Paper 52850, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Sanyal, Amal & Patibandla, Murali, 1999. "From Closed to Contestable Markets: Product Differentiation in Indian Durable Consumer Goods Industry," Working Papers 9-1999, Copenhagen Business School, Department of International Economics and Management.
- Yongmin Chen & Scott J Savage, 2011.
"The Effects of Competition on the Price for Cable Modem Internet Access,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 201-217, February.
- Yongmin Chen & Scott J. Savage, 2007. "The Effects Of Competition On The Price For Cable Modem Internet Access," Working Papers 07-13, NET Institute.
- Matthew Selove, 2014. "A Dynamic Model of Competitive Entry Response," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(3), pages 353-363, May.
- Jean Gabszewicz & Ornella Tarola, 2012. "Product innovation and firms’ ownership," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 323-343, April.
- Whinston, Michael D, 1990. "Tying, Foreclosure, and Exclusion," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 837-859, September.
- Claudio Agostini, 2005. "El Mercado de Transporte Aéreo: Lecciones para Chile de una Revisión de la Literatura," ILADES-UAH Working Papers inv163, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Business.
- E. Glen Weyl & Michal Fabinger, 2013. "Pass-Through as an Economic Tool: Principles of Incidence under Imperfect Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(3), pages 528-583.
- Tay-Cheng Ma, 2005. "Strategic investment and excess capacity: A study of the Taiwanese flour industry," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 8, pages 153-170, May.
- Zou, Li & Yu, Chunyan, 2020. "The evolving market entry strategy: A comparative study of Southwest and JetBlue," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 132(C), pages 682-695.
- Margaret Aksoy-Pierson & Gad Allon & Awi Federgruen, 2013. "Price Competition Under Mixed Multinomial Logit Demand Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 59(8), pages 1817-1835, August.
- Francisco Requena‐Silvente & James T. Walker, 2009. "The Survival Of Differentiated Products: An Application To The Uk Automobile Market, 1971–2002," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 77(3), pages 288-316, June.
More about this item
Keywordslow cost carriers; entry; accommodation;
All these keywords.
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2006-05-06 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2006-05-06 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2006-05-06 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-IND-2006-05-06 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2006-05-06 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TID-2006-05-06 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:cetedp:0602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Bonanca). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/fepuppt.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.