A Veblenian articulation of the monetary theory of production
The article presents a further articulation of the monetary theory of production inspired by the writings of Thorstein Veblen. Particularly I offer a formulation of the monetary theory of production as part of broader theorizing about social provisioning and the life process. This includes an analytical focus on non-commodities; an extension of the Veblenian dichotomy to non-market activities; discussion of Veblen’s theory of social valuation in connection to monetary theory of production and class; delineation of as social processes that constitute social provisioning and their commodity and non-commodity aspects. The goal is bridging the gap between monetary theory of production and analysis of “the social”.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S. Lee, 2011. "Modeling the Economy as a Whole: An Integrative Approach," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(5), pages 1282-1314, November.
- Picchio,Antonella, 1992. "Social Reproduction," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521418720, January.
- Tae‐Hee Jo, 2011.
"Social Provisioning Process and Socio‐Economic Modeling,"
American Journal of Economics and Sociology,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(5), pages 1094-1116, November.
- Jo, Tae-Hee, 2011. "Social Provisioning Process and Socio-Economic Modeling," MPRA Paper 28969, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2009. "Money and Households in a Capitalist Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13178.
- Himmelweit, Susan & Mohun, Simon, 1977. "Domestic Labour and Capital," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 15-31, March.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2013. "Connecting social provisioning and functional finance in a post-Keynesianâ€“Institutional analysis of the public sector," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 61-75.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2014. "Consumption as a Social Process," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(3), pages 663-678, September.
- Marilyn Power, 2004. "Social Provisioning As A Starting Point For Feminist Economics," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 3-19.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1904. "Theory of Business Enterprise," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1904.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2015. "A Veblenian articulation of the monetary theory of production," Working Papers PKWP1501, Post Keynesian Economics Study Group (PKSG).
- Zdravka Todorova, 2015. "Social Provisioning within a Culture-Nature Life Process," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 390-409, July.
- Frederic S. Lee & Tae-Hee Jo, 2011. "Social Surplus Approach and Heterodox Economics," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(4), pages 857-876, December.
- Lee, Frederic & Jo, Tae-Hee, 2010. "Social surplus approach and heterodox economics," MPRA Paper 27636, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1919. "The Vested Interests and the Common Man," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1919. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pke:wpaper:pkwp1501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jo Michell)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.