A Veblenian articulation of the monetary theory of production
The article presents a further articulation of the monetary theory of production inspired by the writings of Thorstein Veblen. Particularly I offer a formulation of the monetary theory of production as part of broader theorizing about social provisioning and the life process. This includes an analytical focus on non-commodities; an extension of the Veblenian dichotomy to non-market activities; discussion of Veblen’s theory of social valuation in connection to monetary theory of production and class; delineation of as social processes that constitute social provisioning and their commodity and non-commodity aspects. The goal is bridging the gap between monetary theory of production and analysis of “the social”.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S. Lee & Tae-Hee Jo, 2011.
"Social Surplus Approach and Heterodox Economics,"
Journal of Economic Issues,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(4), pages 857-876, December.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2009. "Money and Households in a Capitalist Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13178.
- Frederic S. Lee, 2011. "Modeling the Economy as a Whole: An Integrative Approach," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(5), pages 1282-1314, November.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1919. "The Vested Interests and the Common Man," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1919.
- Tae‐Hee Jo, 2011.
"Social Provisioning Process and Socio‐Economic Modeling,"
American Journal of Economics and Sociology,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(5), pages 1094-1116, November.
- Jo, Tae-Hee, 2011. "Social Provisioning Process and Socio-Economic Modeling," MPRA Paper 28969, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2013. "Connecting social provisioning and functional finance in a post-Keynesianâ€“Institutional analysis of the public sector," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 61-75.
- Picchio,Antonella, 1992. "Social Reproduction," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521418720, December.
- Himmelweit, Susan & Mohun, Simon, 1977. "Domestic Labour and Capital," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 15-31, March.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2015. "Social Provisioning within a Culture-Nature Life Process," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 390-409, July.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1904. "Theory of Business Enterprise," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1904.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2014. "Consumption as a Social Process," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(3), pages 663-678, September.
- Marilyn Power, 2004. "Social Provisioning As A Starting Point For Feminist Economics," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 3-19.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pke:wpaper:pkwp1501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jo Michell)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.