Counterfactual Distribution Dynamics across European Regions
This paper proposes a methodology which combines elements of parametric regression analysis with the nonparametric distribution dynamics approach in order to analyse the role of some variables in the convergence of productivity across European regions over the period 1980-2002. We find that the initial productivity crucially accounts in the convergence process across European regions. Differently, employment growth seems not to play a role, while the Structural and Cohesion Funds seem to play a positive role, even though such effect seems to be very low and statistically significant only at the low bound of the range of initial productivity. The structural change of regional economies plays a positive role, but such e effect is statistically significant only for the least productive regions. The output composition of a region in 1980 a effects the convergence process of productivity growth in several ways. In particular, the share of non market services on output acts like a source of convergence from 1980 to 2002 but in the long-run it plays a negligible role. Finally, the share of finance acts like a force of divergence across European regions, especially for the least productive regions.
|Date of creation:||19 Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Cosimo Ridolfi, 10 - 56124 PISA|
Phone: +39 050 22 16 466
Fax: +39 050 22 16 384
Web page: http://www.ec.unipi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, Paul, 2003.
"A Continuous State Space Approach to “Convergence by Parts”,"
Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series
54, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Johnson, Paul A., 2005. "A continuous state space approach to "Convergence by Parts"," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 317-321, March.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Durlauf, Steven N., 1996.
"Interpreting tests of the convergence hypothesis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 161-173.
- Bernard, A.B. & Durlauf, S.N., 1994. "Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis," Working papers 9401r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Steven N. Durlauf, 1994. "Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Paul Beaudry & Fabrice Collard & David A. Green, 2005. "Changes in the World Distribution of Output Per Worker, 1960-1998: How a Standard Decomposition Tells an Unorthodox Story," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 741-753, November.
- Davide Fiaschi & Marzia Romanelli, 2009.
"Nonlinear dynamics in welfare and the evolution of world inequality,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
724, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Davide Fiaschi - Marzia Romanelli, 2009. "Nonlinear Dynamics in Welfare and the Evolution of World Inequality," Discussion Papers 2009/81, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-251, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Roberto Basile, 2009.
"Productivity Polarization across Regions in Europe,"
International Regional Science Review,
, vol. 32(1), pages 92-115, January.
- Roberto Basile, 2007. "Productivity polarization across regions in Europe," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 31/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Fiaschi, Davide & Lavezzi, Andrea Mario, 2007. "Productivity polarization and sectoral dynamics in European regions," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 612-637, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pie:dsedps:2009/85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.