Contractual Arrangements in Philippine Fisheries
Economists have begun the quest for explanations of contractual choices in developing countries and especially for pervasiveness of informal credit and insurance arrangements and interlinkages observed in agricultural and fishing contracts. In the case of fisheries, what is needed is an in-depth knowledge of real world contract provisions and categorization of contractual arrangements to guide analysis of contractual arrangements. This paper is a modest contribution toward this particular end. The present study also draws upon modern contract theory to explain the existence of a variety of contractual arrangements in aquaculture and marine fishing. Certain regularities to be found within the fishing economies of the Philippines include share contracts between aquaculture owner-operators and tenant/laborers and between boat owners and crew members as well as interlinkage of credit, labor, and marketing relations. Future work would entail understanding the fundamental incentives underlying contractual arrangements in fisheries that will allow one to evaluate the efficiency and equity implications of contract use and will aid in predicting their influence in the distribution of returns as their usage in the fishery sector increases.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoff, Karla, 2008. "Joseph E. Stiglitz," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4478, The World Bank.
- Stiglitz, J.E., 1988.
"Economic Organization, Information And Development,"
21, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1988. "Economic organization, information, and development," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5, pages 93-160 Elsevier.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1973. "Where Are We in the Theory of Information?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 31-39, May.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1974.
"Incentives and Risk Sharing in Sharecropping,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 219-255.
- Alston, Lee J., 1995. "The economics of rural organization: Theory, practice and policy : Karla Hoff, Avishay Braverman, and Joseph E. Stiglitz, eds., (Oxford University Press, New York, 1993)," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 502-504, August.
- Minot, Nicholas, 1986. "Contract Farming and Its Effect on Small Farmers in Less Developed Countries," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54740, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Bardhan, Pranab K, 1980. "Interlocking Factor Markets and Agrarian Development: A Review of Issues," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 82-98, March.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"Information and the Change in the Paradigm in Economics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 460-501, June.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2001. "Information and the Change in the Paradigm in Economics," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2001-8, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Posner, Richard A, 1980.
"A Theory of Primitive Society, with Special Reference to Law,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(1), pages 1-53, April.
- Richard A. Posner, 1979. "A Theory of Primitive Society with Special Reference to Law," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 7, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Basu, Kaushik & Jones, Eric & Schlicht, Ekkehart, 1987.
"The growth and decay of custom: The role of the new institutional economics in economic history,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Basu, Kaushik & Jones, Eric & Schlicht, Ekkehart, 1987. "The Growth and Decay of Custom: The Role of the New Institutional Economics in Economic History," Munich Reprints in Economics 3328, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Basu, Kaushik & Jones, Eric & Schlicht, Ekkehart, 1987. "The Growth and Decay of Custom: The Role of the New Institutional Economics in Economic History," MPRA Paper 3790, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Key, Nigel & Runsten, David, 1999. "Contract Farming, Smallholders, and Rural Development in Latin America: The Organization of Agroprocessing Firms and the Scale of Outgrower Production," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 381-401, February.
- Pranab K. Bardhan, 1979. "Agricultural Development and Land Tenancy in a Peasant Economy: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 61(1), pages 48-57.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1985. "A Theory of Two-Tier Labor Markets in Agrarian Economies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 162-77, March.
- Rao, J. Mohan, 1986. "Agriculture in recent development theory," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 41-86, June.
- Platteau, J.P., 1994.
"A Framework for the Analysis of Evolving Patron-Client Ties In Agrarian Economies,"
140, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1995. "A framework for the analysis of evolving patron-client ties in agrarian economies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 767-786, May.
- North, Douglass C, 1994.
"Economic Performance through Time,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 359-68, June.
- Howard D. Leathers, 1999. "What is Farming? Information, Contracts, and the Organization of Agricultural Production: Discussion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 621-623.
- Spence, A. Michael, 2001.
"Signaling in Retrospect and the Informational Structure of Markets,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
2001-6, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Michael Spence, 2002. "Signaling in Retrospect and the Informational Structure of Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 434-459, June.
- Warning, Matthew & Key, Nigel, 2002. "The Social Performance and Distributional Consequences of Contract Farming: An Equilibrium Analysis of the Arachide de Bouche Program in Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 255-263, February.
- James A. Wilson, 1980. "Adaptation to Uncertainty and Small Numbers Exchange: The New England Fresh Fish Market," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 491-504, Autumn.
- Bengt Holmstrom & John Roberts, 1998. "The Boundaries of the Firm Revisited," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 73-94, Fall.
- Alderman, Harold & Paxson, Christina H & DEC, 1992.
"Do the poor insure? A synthesis of the literature on risk and consumption in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1008, The World Bank.
- Alderman, H. & Paxson, C.H., 1992. "Do the Poor Insure? A Synthesis of the Literature on Risk and Consumption in Developing Countries," Papers 164, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan, 1999.
"Agricultural Supply Response Under Contract,"
Staff General Research Papers
5039, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Smith, I.R. & Puzon, M.Y. & Vidal-Libunao, C.N., 1980. "Philippine municipal fisheries: a review of resources, technology, and socio-economics," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 12306, December.
- Smith, Laurence E. D. & Stockbridge, Michael & Lohano, Hari Ram, 1999. "Facilitating the Provision of Farm Credit: The Role of Interlocking Transactions Between Traders and Zamindars in Crop Marketing Systems in Sindh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 403-418, February.
- Yifu Lin, Justin & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 1995. "Institutions and economic development," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 38, pages 2301-2370 Elsevier.
- Geertz, Clifford, 1978. "The Bazaar Economy: Information and Search in Peasant Marketing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 28-32, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2007-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.