Central Banking in the Philippines: Then, Now and the Future
The country’s central bank has a profound impact on the lives of all residents in the country. This paper attempted to put some policy issues on central banking in the country in certain perspectives so that policy debates on these issues can proceed with greater focus. More specifically, it examined central banking in the Philippines from three perspectives – the past, the present and the future. First, it took a fresh look at central banking in the Philippines in the last 25 years. This period, which covers 5 administrations and 6 central bank governors, is the most turbulent period in the history of central banking in the Philippines. Second, the paper examined the way the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) currently conducts monetary policy, highlighting the BSP’s shift to inflation targeting as its monetary policy framework and the issues it must confront to make it successful. Third, it discussed the future of central banking in the Philippines, taking into account three major trends that are currently sweeping around the world, namely, the separation of bank supervision function from monetary policy function of central banks, increasing regional economic and financial integration, and the revolution in the payments system brought about by rapid changes in information and communications technology. These factors can lead to changes in the fundamental character of the country’s central bank in the future.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur Grimes, 1992.
"The role of the exchange rate in New Zealand monetary policy,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
93-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Arthur Grimes & Jason Wong, 1992. "The role of the exchange rate in New Zealand monetary policy," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 176-197.
- Arthur Grimes & Jason Wong, 1992. "The role of the exchange rate in New Zealand monetary policy," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Woodford, Michael, 2000.
"Monetary Policy in a World without Money,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 229-60, July.
- Cororaton, Caesar B., 2002. "Total Factor Productivity in the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2002-01, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Leitemo, Kai, 2008. "Inflation-targeting rules: History-dependent or forward-looking?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 267-270, August.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1997. "Monetary policy comes of age: a 20th century odyssey," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 1-22.
- Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Hakura, Dalia S., 2006.
"Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices: Does the inflationary environment matter?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 614-639, June.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices; Does the Inflationary Environment Matter?," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 2002.
"Inflation Targeting: Should It Be Modeled as an Instrument Rule or a Targeting Rule?,"
NBER Working Papers
8925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 2002. "Inflation targeting: Should it be modeled as an instrument rule or a targeting rule?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 771-780, May.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren & Geoffrey M. B. Tootell, 1999.
"Is Bank Supervision Central to Central Banking?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 629-653.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1996. "Central banking in a democracy," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 1-14.
- Michael Taylor & Marc Quintyn, 2002.
"Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability,"
IMF Working Papers
02/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Marc Quintyn & Michael W. Taylor, 2003. "Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 49(2), pages 259-294.
- G. C. Lim & Guy Debelle, 1998. "Preliminary Considerations of an Inflation Targeting Framework for the Philippines," IMF Working Papers 98/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Freedman, Charles, 2000. "Monetary Policy Implementation: Past, Present and Future--Will Electronic Money Lead to the Eventual Demise of Central Banking?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 211-27, July.
- Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Inflation Targeting: An Overview," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.), Inflation Targeting: Desing, Performance, Challenges, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 1, pages 001-022 Central Bank of Chile.
- Milo, Melanie S., 2002. "Financial Services Integration and Consolidated Supervision: Some Issues to Consider for the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2002-22, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Christopher J. Waller, 1995. "Performance contracts for central bankers," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 3-14.
- Alex Cukierman, 1992.
"Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, and Independence: Theory and Evidence,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031981.
- Cukierman Alex, 1992. "Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, And Independance: Theory And Evidence," Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines, De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 10, December.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001.
"One decade of inflation targeting in the world : What do we know and what do we need to know?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
101, Central Bank of Chile.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001. "One Decade of Inflation Targeting in the World: What Do We Know and What Do We Need to Know?," NBER Working Papers 8397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-60, October.
- Andrea Schaechter, 2001. "Implementation of Monetary Policy and the Central Bank's Balance Sheet," IMF Working Papers 01/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Benjamin M. Friedman, 2002. "The Use and Meaning of Words in Central Banking: Inflation Targeting, Credibility, and Transparency," NBER Working Papers 8972, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2002-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.