Shanghai Stock Exchange Composite Index and Bank Stock Prices in China: A Causality Analysis
This paper analyzes empirically the relationship between the Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE) Composite Index and the indexes of 10 Chinese listed banks to test whether the listing of these banks had played a role in leading the Chinese stock market. Using daily prices from 1 June 2006 to 15 November 2007, we applied the Granger causality test and found that a uni-directional causality relationship existed either way between most bank stock prices and the market index while the bi-directional relationship only identified among five of the ten banks. This research finding is in part consistent with previous studies showing that stock markets in great China region are integrated and are strongly influenced by the psychological factors of investors. In the following co-integration test, both AEG and Johansen’s methods concluded a long-run stable equilibrium relationship between majority of the banking stock prices and the SSE Composite Index.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- -, 2007. "Major statistical publications: abstracts," Sede Subregional de la CEPAL para el Caribe (Estudios e Investigaciones) 27648, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Hussein, Khaled A., 1996.
"Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 387-411, December.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Khaled A.Hussein, 1995. "Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth? Time-Series Evidence from 16 Countries," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 95/13, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Haishun Sun & Ashok Parikh, 2001. "Exports, Inward Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and Regional Economic Growth in China," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 187-196.
- Gary Gang Tian, 2007. "Are Chinese Stock Markets Increasing Integration With Other Markets In The Greater China Region And Other Major Markets?," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 240-253, 09.
- Gary Gang Tian & Guang Hua Wan, 2004. "Interaction among China-related stocks: evidence from a causality test with a new procedure," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 67-72.
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
- Bell, Clive & Rousseau, Peter L., 2001.
"Post-independence India: a case of finance-led industrialization?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 153-175, June.
- Clive Bell & Peter L. Rousseau, 2000. "Post-Independence India: A Case of Finance-Led Industrialization?," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0019, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Charles Adjasi & Nicholas Biekpe, 2006. "Stock Market Development and Economic Growth: The Case of Selected African Countries," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 18(1), pages 144-161.
- Yao, Shujie & Han, Zhongwei & Feng, Genfu, 2008. "Ownership Reform, Foreign Competition, and Efficiency of Chinese Commercial Banks: A Non-Parametric Approach," Working Paper Series RP2008/38, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2004. "Financial development and economic growth: evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 55-74, February.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Shujie Yao & Zhongwei Han & Genfu Feng, 2008. "Ownership Reform, Foreign Competition and Efficiency of Chinese Commercial Banks: A Non-parametric Approach," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1310-1326, October.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- AfDB AfDB, . "The AfDB Statistics Pocketbook 2007," AfDB Statistics Pocketbook, African Development Bank, number 2 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou, 11.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Fase, M. M. G. & Abma, R. C. N., 2003. "Financial environment and economic growth in selected Asian countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-21, February.
- Issam Abdalla & Victor Murinde, 1997. "Exchange rate and stock price interactions in emerging financial markets: evidence on India, Korea, Pakistan and the Philippines," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 25-35.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Haishun Sun, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Export Performance in China," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 317-336.
- César Calderón & Lin Liu, 2002.
"The Direction of Causality Between Financial Development and Economic Growth,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
184, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon, Cesar & Liu, Lin, 2003. "The direction of causality between financial development and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 321-334, October.
- Liang, Qi & Teng, Jian-Zhou, 2006. "Financial development and economic growth: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 395-411.
- Ahmad, Jaleel & Kwan, Andy C. C., 1991. "Causality between exports and economic growth : Empirical evidence from Africa," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 243-248, November.
- Janakiramanan, Sundaram & Lamba, Asjeet S., 1998. "An empirical examination of linkages between Pacific-Basin stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & PING HUA & ZHICHENG LIANG, 2006.
"Financial Development, Economic Efficiency, And Productivity Growth: Evidence From China,"
The Developing Economies,
Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(1), pages 27-52.
- Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Ping Hua & Zhicheng Liang, 2011. "Financial Development, Economic Efficiency and Productivity Growth: Evidence from China," Working Papers halshs-00562630, HAL.
- Zhicheng LIANG & Ping HUA & Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY, 2006. "Financial Development, Economic Efficiency and Productivity Growth: Evidence from China," Working Papers 200625, CERDI.
- Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid, 1999. "A quantitative reassessment of the finance-growth nexus: evidence from a multivariate VAR," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 381-405, December.
- Martin Laurence & Francis Cai & Sun Qian, 1997. "Weak-form Efficiency and Causality Tests in Chinese Stock Markets," Multinational Finance Journal, Multinational Finance Journal, vol. 1(4), pages 291-307, December.
- Chung-Hua Shen & Chien-Fu Chen & Li-Hsueh Chen, 2007. "An empirical study of the asymmetric cointegration relationships among the Chinese stock markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(11), pages 1433-1445.
- AfDB AfDB, . "Selected Statistics on African Countries 2007," Selected Statistics on African Countries, African Development Bank, number 75 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- Koutoulas, George & Kryzanowski, Lawrence, 1996. "Macrofactor Conditional Volatilities, Time-Varying Risk Premia and Stock Return Behavior," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 31(1), pages 169-95, February.
- Jung, Woo S. & Marshall, Peyton J., 1985. "Exports, growth and causality in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-12.
- Xiaming Liu & Haiyan Song & Peter Romilly, 1997. "Are Chinese stock markets efficient? A cointegration and causality analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(8), pages 511-515.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notgep:08/25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.