Interaction among China-related stocks: evidence from a causality test with a new procedure
The purpose of this study is to investigate a causal relationship among five different indices of shares issued by Chinese firms, A-, B- and H-shares listed in China and Hong Kong. This article re-examines the interactions among these China-related stocks using daily time series data by constructing a vector autoregresion (VAR) model. A new Granger no-causality testing procedure developed by Toda and Yamamoto was applied to test the causality link among these five stock indices. The results suggest that the 'closed' B-share markets in Shanghai and Shenzhen exhibit causality relations with each other during the entire period between 1993 and 1999 but this pattern does not exist within A-share markets. Furthermore, evidence is also found of Granger causality running from Hong Kong H-shares to B-shares in Shanghai and Shenzhen, and from Shanghai B-shares to all the rest Chinese markets for the post-1996 period.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Fernald & John H. Rogers, 2000.
"Puzzles in the Chinese stock market,"
Working Paper Series
WP-00-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Chui, Andy C W & Kwok, Chuck C Y, 1998. "Cross-Autocorrelation between A Shares and B Shares in the Chinese Stock Market," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(3), pages 333-53, Fall.
- Zapata, Hector O & Rambaldi, Alicia N, 1997.
"Monte Carlo Evidence on Cointegration and Causation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 285-98, May.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1996. "Monte Carlo Evidence On Cointegration And Causation," Staff Papers 31690, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:14:y:2004:i:1:p:67-72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.