A Violation of Monotonicity in a Noncooperative Setting
A power measure is monotone if a player with a larger weight is assigned at least as much power as a player with a smaller weight in the same weighted majority game. Failure of a power index to satisfy monotonicity is often considered a pathological feature. In this paper, we show that monotonicity may fail in the unique subgame perfect equilibrium of a noncooperative bargaining game. A player with a smaller weight may have a higher expected payoff than a player with a larger weight. This is possible even though coalition formation and payoff division are endogenous, all players are rational and there is no asymmetry between the players other than in the weights.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/cedex/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Montero & Juan Vidal-Puga, 2005. "Demand commitment in legislative bargaining," Game Theory and Information 0511005, EconWPA.
- Montero, Maria & Vidal-Puga, Juan J., 2011. "Demand bargaining and proportional payoffs in majority games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-408, March.
- Juan J. Vidal-Puga, 2004.
"Bargaining with commitments,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 129-144, January.
- Manfred J. Holler & Stefan Napel, 2004.
"Monotonicity of power and power measures,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 56(2_2), pages 93-111, 02.
- Annick Laruelle & Federico Valenciano, 2005.
"A critical reappraisal of some voting power paradoxes,"
Springer, vol. 125(1), pages 17-41, July.
- Federico Valenciano & Annick Laruelle, 2004. "A Critical Reappraisal Of Some Voting Power Paradoxes," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notcdx:2012-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Suzanne Robey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.