Is the ‘European Model’ viable in a globalized world?
The issue of whether the ‘European model’ is viable in a globalized world raises the question as to what defines and conditions any European model and its competitiveness in the context of globalization and the new economy. For the sake of sustainability of its model but also to sustain support for globalization the European Union (EU) needs to take economic advantage of globalization and the knowledge-based economy. Challenges in a high-cost, high-productivity economy mean that there is a premium on dynamic efficiency gains from the liberalization and reform of markets and an economic and institutional framework that fosters innovation and flexible adjustment. The paper examines how the EU deals with governance issues and political economy factors from this perspective. The EU model, if able to legitimize itself with respect to the European integration process may as well contribute to a legitimate political governance of globalization.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Núcleo de Investigação em Políticas Económicas, Escola de Economia e Gestão, Universidade do Minho, P-4710-057 Braga, Portugal|
Phone: +351-253604510 ext 5532
Web page: http://www3.eeg.uminho.pt/economia/nipe/versao_inglesa/index_uk.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, .
"Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets,"
187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Annette Bongardt, 2005. "Competition Policy and EU Governance," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 28, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Jeffry Frieden, 2006. "Will global capitalism fall again?," Essays and Lectures 16, Bruegel.
- Philippe Aghion, 2006. "A primer on innovation and growth," Policy Briefs 233, Bruegel.
- Francisco Torres & Annette Bongardt, 2007.
"Institutions, Governance and Economic Growth in the EU: is there a role for the Lisbon Strategy,"
NIPE Working Papers
19/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Annette Bongardt* & Francisco Torres**, 2007. "Institutions, Governance and Economic Growth in the EU: Is There a Role for the Lisbon Strategy?," Intereconomics- Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 42(1), pages 32-42, January.
- Annette Bongardt & Francisco Torres, 2007. "Institutions, Governance and Economic Growth in the EU: is there a role for the Lisbon Strategy?," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 45, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- André Sapir & Alan Ahearne & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Nicolas Véron, 2006.
"Global governance: an agenda for Europe,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8104, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
10310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Delgado, 2006. "Single market trails home bias," Policy Briefs 38, Bruegel.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nip:nipewp:20/2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria João Thompson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.