Valuing Indirect Effects From Environmental Hazards On A Child’s Life Chances
This paper discusses indirect child welfare effects associated with environmental health. It considers the economic value of reducing the indirect risk to a child’s life chances from environmental threats to (a) caregiver health, (b) sibling health or the child’s health, and (c) the health of the surrounding natural environment and the consequent caregiver’s choices. Each of these effects can reduce the healthy child’s chance to be productive, to complement the work of others, and to contribute to the common good. In addition, this paper considers what evidence exists in the current literature that might quantify these effects, and whether these effects may be important to policy makers both for child health-related regulations and for regulations involving adult health effects. Finally, this paper also considers whether these indirect effects can be linked to existing models to value children’s health effects.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://yosemite.epa.gov/ee/epa/eed.nsf/webpages/homepage
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Laitner & F. Thomas Juster, 1993.
"New evidence on altruism: a study of TIAA-CREF retirees,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
86, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Laitner, John & Juster, F Thomas, 1996. "New Evidence on Altruism: A Study of TIAA-CREF Retirees," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 893-908, September.
- Mark D. Agee & Thomas D. Crocker, 1996. "Parental Altruism and Child Lead Exposure: Inferences from the Demand for Chelation Therapy," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(3), pages 677-691.
- Robert J. Barro & Gary S. Becker, .
"Fertility Choice in a Model of Economic Growth,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
88-8, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Charles W. Abdalla & Brian A. Roach & Donald J. Epp, 1992. "Valuing Environmental Quality Changes Using Averting Expenditures: An Application to Groundwater Contamination," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(2), pages 163-169.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Crocker, Thomas D., 1999. "Risk and Its Consequences," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 44-51, January.
- Sanders Korenman & David Neumark, 1991.
"Does Marriage Really Make Men More Productive?,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(2), pages 282-307.
- Chami, Ralph, 1996. "King Lear's dilemma: Precommitment versus the last word," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 171-176, August.
- Jie Zhang & Junsen Zhang, 1997. "Fertility and Wage Rates in an Overlapping-Generations Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 224-34, February.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Hassan, Md. Nazmul, 1989.
"Productivity, Health and Inequality in the Intrahousehold Distribution of Food in Low-Income Countries,"
7480, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Pitt, Mark M & Rosenzweig, Mark R & Hassan, Md Nazmul, 1990. "Productivity, Health, and Inequality in the Intrahousehold Distribution of Food in Low-Income Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1139-56, December.
- Arnold C. Harberger, 1978.
"On the Use of Distributional Weights in Social Cost-Benefit Analysis,"
in: Research in Taxation, pages 87-120
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1978. "On the Use of Distributional Weights in Social Cost-Benefit Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages S87-120, April.
- Jason F. Shogren & Thomas D. Crocker, 1990.
"Risk, Self-Protection, and Ex Ante Economic Value,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
90-wp57, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Robert Kollmann, 1997. "Endogenous fertility in a model with non-dynastic parental altruism," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 87-95.
- Gary S. Becker & Nigel Tomes, 1976.
"Child Endowments, and the Quantity and Quality of Children,"
NBER Working Papers
0123, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S & Tomes, Nigel, 1976. "Child Endowments and the Quantity and Quality of Children," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages S143-62, August.
- Behrman, Jere R & Pollak, Robert A & Taubman, Paul, 1982. "Parental Preferences and Provision for Progeny," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(1), pages 52-73, February.
- Wilhelm, M.O., 1990.
"Bequest Behavior And The Effect Of Heirs' Earnings: Testing The Altruistic Model Of Bequests,"
9-90-12, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Wilhelm, Mark O, 1996. "Bequest Behavior and the Effect of Heirs' Earnings: Testing the Altruistic Model of Bequests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 874-92, September.
- van Marrewijk, Charles & Verbeek, Jos, 1993. "On Opulence Driven Poverty Traps," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 67-81.
- Stark, Oded, 1993. "Nonmarket transfers and altruism," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1413-1424, October.
- Behrman, Jere R & Rosenzweig, Mark R & Taubman, Paul, 1994. "Endowments and the Allocation of Schooling in the Family and in the Marriage Market: The Twins Experiment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1131-74, December.
- Agee, Mark D. & Crocker, Thomas D., 1994. "Parental and social valuations of child health information," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 89-105, September.
- John Logan & Glenna Spitze, 1995. "Self-interest and altruism in intergenerational relations," Demography, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 353-364, August.
- Hori, Hajime, 1997. "Dynamic Allocation in an Altruistic Overlapping Generations Economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 292-315, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nev:wpaper:wp200209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cynthia Morgan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.