A New Approach to Drawing States in State Space Models
We introduce a new method for drawing state variables in Gaussian state space models from their conditional distribution given parameters and observations. Unlike standard methods, our method does not involve Kalman filtering. We show that for some important cases, our method is computationally more efficient than standard methods in the literature. We consider two applications of our method.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2007|
|Note:||First draft 2007-08|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (919) 515-3274|
Web page: http://www.mgt.ncsu.edu/faculty/economics.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, .
"Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models,"
W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers 3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- J. Durbin, 2002. "A simple and efficient simulation smoother for state space time series analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 603-616, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ncs:wpaper:014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theofanis Tsoulouhas)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Theofanis Tsoulouhas to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.