Evaluating Trade Reform Using Ex-Post Criteria
In contrast to existing work which takes an ex-ante approach and looks for policy prescriptions which yield welfare improvements, we take an ex-post approach. We ask whether there are indicators which show whether welfare has risen or not in the wake of a reform. That is, we look for evidence of welfare improvements in outcome space. Necessary and sufficient conditions for welfare improving trade reform are derived. These conditions are shown to be useful in evaluating Free Trade Areas and in reforming Article XXIV of GATT.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Canadian Journal of Economics, Volume: 33 Issue: 3 (August 2000) Pages: 787-798|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 1991.
"A new approach to evaluating trade policy,"
199105, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter, 1992. "A new approach to evaluating trade policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1022, The World Bank.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1993. "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0173, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, James E. & Bannister, Geoffrey, 1992. "The trade restrictiveness index : an application to Mexican agriculture," Policy Research Working Paper Series 874, The World Bank.
- James E. Anderson, 1991. "The Coefficient of Trade Utilization: The Cheese Case," NBER Chapters, in: Empirical Studies of Commercial Policy, pages 221-244 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Peter Neary & James E. Anderson, 1989. "The coefficient of trade utilization : back to the Baldwin Envelope," Working Papers 198905, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "Trade Reform with Quotas, Partial Rent Retention, and Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 57-76, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.