Bank Consolidation: A Central Banker's Perspective
This paper looks at why bank consolidation has been taking place in the United States and what the structure of the banking industry might look like in the future. It then discusses the implications of bank consolidation for the economy and the challenge it poses for central bankers.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1996|
|Publication status:||published as Mergers of Finanial Institutions, Yakov Amihud and Geoffrey Miller, eds., pp. 31-25, (Boston: Irwin Professional Publishing, 1998)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flannery, Mark J., 1984.
"The social costs of unit banking restrictions,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 237-249, March.
- Mark J. Flannery, "undated". "The Social Costs of Unit Banking Restrictions," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-82, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Small business credit availability: how important is size of lender?," Working Papers 95-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Kane, Edward J, 1996. "De Jure Interstate Banking: Why Only Now?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 141-161, May.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph M. Scalise, 1995. "The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trips It's Been," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 55-218.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph Scalise, 1995. "The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Philip E. Strahan & James Weston, 1996. "Small business lending and bank consolidation: is there cause for concern?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 2(Mar). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)