Retiree Health Insurance for Public School Employees: Does it Affect Retirement?
Despite the widespread provision of retiree health insurance for public sector workers, little attention has been paid to its effects on employee retirement. This is in contrast to the large literature on health-insurance-induced "job-lock" in the private sector. I use the introduction of retiree health insurance for public school employees in combination with administrative data on their retirement to identify the effects of retiree health insurance. As expected, the availability of retiree health insurance for older workers allows employees to retire earlier. These behavioral changes have budgetary implications, likely making the programs self-financing rather than costly to taxpayers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Fitzpatrick, Maria D., 2014. "Retiree health insurance for public school employees: Does it affect retirement?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 88-98.|
|Note:||AG ED HC LS PE|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christina Robinson & Robert Clark, 2010. "Retiree Health Insurance and Disengagement from a Career Job," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 247-262, September.
- Boyle, Melissa A. & Lahey, Joanna N., 2010. "Health insurance and the labor supply decisions of older workers: Evidence from a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs expansion," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(7-8), pages 467-478, August.
- Cory Koedel & Jason A. Grissom & Shawn Ni & Michael Podgursky, 2011.
"Pension-Induced Rigidities in the Labor Market for School Leaders,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3605, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cory Koedel & Jason A. Grissom & Shawn Ni & Michael Podgursky, 2011. "Pension-Induced Rigidities in the Labor Market for School Leaders," Working Papers 1115, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Cory Koedel & Michael Podgursky & Shishan Shi, 2013.
"Teacher Pension Systems, the Composition of the Teaching Workforce, and Teacher Quality,"
Journal of Policy Analysis and Management,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(3), pages 574-596, 06.
- Cory Koedel & Michael Podgursky, 2011. "Teacher Pension Systems, the Composition of the Teaching Workforce, and Teacher Quality," Working Papers 1109, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 10 Apr 2012.
- Djebbari, Habiba & Smith, Jeffrey, 2008.
"Heterogeneous impacts in PROGRESA,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 64-80, July.
- Robert Novy-Marx & Joshua D. Rauh, 2009. "The Liabilities and Risks of State-Sponsored Pension Plans," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(4), pages 191-210, Fall.
- Norma B. Coe & Mashfiqur Khan & Matthew S. Rutledge, 2013. "Sticky Ages: Why Is Age 65 Still a Retirement Peak?," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2013-2, Center for Retirement Research.
- Jonathan Gruber & Brigitte C. Madrian, 1993.
"Health Insurance Availability and the Retirement Decision,"
NBER Working Papers
4469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gruber, Jonathan & Madrian, Brigitte C, 1995. "Health-Insurance Availability and the Retirement Decision," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 938-48, September.
- Gruber, J. & Madrian, B.C., 1994. "Health Insurance Availability and the Retirement Decision," Working papers 94-04, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- John Rust & Christopher Phelan, 1997.
"How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 781-832, July.
- Rust, J., 1994. "How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets," Working papers 9430, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- John Rust & Christopher Phelan, 1994. "How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets," Public Economics 9406005, EconWPA, revised 06 Jul 1994.
- James Marton & Stephen A. Woodbury, 2012. "Retiree Health Benefits as Deferred Compensation: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 12-182, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Nyce, Steven & Schieber, Sylvester J. & Shoven, John B. & Slavov, Sita Nataraj & Wise, David A., 2013.
"Does retiree health insurance encourage early retirement?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 40-51.
- Steven Nyce & Sylvester Schieber & John B. Shoven & Sita Slavov & David A. Wise, 2011. "Does Retiree Health Insurance Encourage Early Retirement?," NBER Working Papers 17703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lynn A. Karoly & Jeannette A. Rogowski, 1994. "The effect of access to post-retirement health insurance on the decision to retire early," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(1), pages 103-123, October.
- James Marton & Stephen A. Woodbury, 2013. "Retiree Health Benefits as Deferred Compensation," Public Finance Review, , vol. 41(1), pages 64-91, January.
- John B. Shoven & Sita Slavov, 2013. "The Role of Retiree Health Insurance in the Early Retirement of Public Sector Employees," NBER Working Papers 19563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erin Strumpf, 2010. "Employer-sponsored health insurance for early retirees: impacts on retirement, health, and health care," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 105-147, June.
- Lynn A. Karoly & Jeannette A. Rogowski, 1994. "The Effect of Access to Post-Retirement Health Insurance on the Decision to Retire Early," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(1), pages 103-123, October.
- repec:umc:wpaper:1310 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19524. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.