Do Strict Capital Requirements Raise the Cost of Capital? Banking Regulation and the Low Risk Anomaly
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985. "The equity premium: A puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Van den Heuvel, Skander J., 2008. "The welfare cost of bank capital requirements," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 298-320, March.
- Simon Gilchrist & Jae W. Sim & Egon Zakrajsek, 2013.
"Misallocation and Financial Market Frictions: Some Direct Evidence from the Dispersion in Borrowing Costs,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(1), pages 159-176, January.
- Simon Gilchrist & Jae W. Sim & Egon Zakrajsek, 2012. "Misallocation and financial market frictions: some direct evidence from the dispersion in borrowing costs," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-08, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), revised 2012.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. "Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Thomas Philippon, 2009. "The Bond Market's q," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 124(3), pages 1011-1056.
- Tobias Adrian & Adam B. Ashcraft & Hayley Boesky & Zoltan Pozsar, 2013.
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 1-16.
- Tobias Adrian & Adam Ashcraft & Hayley Boesky & Zoltan Pozsar, 2012. "S hadow Banking," Revue d'économie financière, Association d'économie financière, vol. 0(1), pages 157-184.
- Tobias Adrian & Adam Ashcraft & Hayley Boeski & Zoltan Pozsar, 2012. "Shadow banking," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 105(1), pages 157-184.
- Bali, Turan G. & Cakici, Nusret & Whitelaw, Robert F., 2011. "Maxing out: Stocks as lotteries and the cross-section of expected returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 427-446, February.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1997. "Industry costs of equity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 153-193, February.
- Nicholas Barberis & Ming Huang, 2008.
"Stocks as Lotteries: The Implications of Probability Weighting for Security Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 2066-2100, December.
- Nicholas Barberis & Ming Huang, 2007. "Stocks as Lotteries: The Implications of Probability Weighting for Security Prices," NBER Working Papers 12936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karceski, Jason, 2002. "Returns-Chasing Behavior, Mutual Funds, and Beta's Death," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(4), pages 559-594, December.
- Haugen, Robert A. & Heins, A. James, 1975. "Risk and the Rate of Return on Financial Assets: Some Old Wine in New Bottles," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(5), pages 775-784, December.
- Andrew Ang & Robert J. Hodrick & Yuhang Xing & Xiaoyan Zhang, 2006.
"The Cross‐Section of Volatility and Expected Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 259-299, February.
- Andrew Ang & Robert J. Hodrick & Yuhang Xing & Xiaoyan Zhang, 2004. "The Cross-Section of Volatility and Expected Returns," NBER Working Papers 10852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John R. Graham, 2000. "How Big Are the Tax Benefits of Debt?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 1901-1941, October.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1994. "A Reconsideration of Investment Behavior Using Tax Reforms as Natural Experiments," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 1-74.
- Blitz, David & Pang, Juan & van Vliet, Pim, 2013. "The volatility effect in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(C), pages 31-45.
- Alok Kumar, 2009. "Who Gambles in the Stock Market?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(4), pages 1889-1933, August.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. "Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-455, July.
- Blitz, D.C. & van Vliet, P., 2007. "The Volatility Effect: Lower Risk without Lower Return," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-044-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Making Finance Safe
by Steve Cecchetti and Kim Schoenholtz in Money, Banking and Financial Markets on 2014-10-06 17:30:15
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katarzyna Budnik & Gaia Barbic & Giulio Nicoletti & Massimiliano Affinito & Fabrizio Venditti & Saiffedine Ben Hadj & Hans Dewachter & Edouard Chretien & Clara Isabel González & Javier Mencía & Jenny , 2019.
"The benefits and costs of adjusting bank capitalisation: evidence from euro area countries,"
1923, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Budnik, Katarzyna & Affinito, Massimiliano & Barbic, Gaia & Ben Hadj, Saiffedine & Chretien, Edouard & Dewachter, Hans & Gonzalez, Clara Isabel & Hu, Jenny & Jantunen, Lauri & Jimborean, Ramona & Mann, 2019. "The benefits and costs of adjusting bank capitalisation: evidence from euro area countries," Working Paper Series 2261, European Central Bank.
- Leone Leonida & Eleonora Muzzupappa, 2018. "Do Basel Accords influence competition in the banking industry? A comparative analysis of Germany and the UK," Journal of Banking Regulation, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 64-72, January.
- Matthew Plosser, 2014. "Bank heterogeneity and capital allocation: evidence from \\"fracking\\" shocks," Staff Reports 693, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Feb 2015.
- Maryam Hasannasab & Dimitris Margaritis & Christos Staikouras, 2019. "The financial crisis and the shadow price of bank capital," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 282(1), pages 131-154, November.
- Brooke, Martin & Bush, Oliver & Edwards, Robert & Ellis, Jas & Francis, Bill & Harimohan, Rashmi & Neiss, Katharine & Siegert, Caspar, 2015. "Financial Stability Paper No. 35: Measuring the macroeconomic costs and benefits of higher UK bank capital requirements -," Bank of England Financial Stability Papers 35, Bank of England.
- Sophia Kassidova, 2016. "Capital Change and the Cost of Equity: Evidence from Bulgarian Banks. Is there a Modigliani-Miller offset?," International Journal of Economics & Business Administration (IJEBA), International Journal of Economics & Business Administration (IJEBA), vol. 0(3), pages 47-59.
- Bouwman, Christa H. S., 2013. "Liquidity: How Banks Create It and How It Should Be Regulated," Working Papers 13-32, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Petr Pavlík, 2017.
"Financial theory approach to the investigation of the impact of Basel III capital adequacy on commercial banks
[Vědecké metody zkoumání dopadu kapitálové regulace obchodních bank]," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2017(4), pages 41-56.
- Barth, James R. & Miller, Stephen Matteo, 2018. "Benefits and costs of a higher bank “leverage ratio”," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 37-52.
- Stanley Fischer, 2017. "Housing and Financial Stability : a speech at the DNB-Riksbank Macroprudential Conference Series, Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 20, 2017," Speech 956, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Beltratti, Andrea & Paladino, Giovanna, 2015. "Bank leverage and profitability: Evidence from a sample of international banks," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 46-57.
- Tetiana Davydiuk, 2017. "Dynamic Bank Capital Requirements," 2017 Meeting Papers 1328, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alexander Schäfer & Isabel Schnabel & Beatrice Weder di Mauro, 2016. "Financial Sector Reform after the Subprime Crisis: Has Anything Happened?," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 20(1), pages 77-125.
More about this item
- G02 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Behavioral Finance: Underlying Principles
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.