Side Effects of Competition: the Role of Advertising and Promotion in Pharmaceutical Markets
The extent of pharmaceutical advertising and promotion can be characterized by a balancing act between profitable demand expansions and potentially unfavorable subsequent regulatory actions. However, this balance also depends on the nature of competition (e.g. monopoly versus oligopoly). In this paper we model the firm's behavior under different competitive scenarios and test the model's predictions using a novel combination of sales, promotion, advertising, and adverse event reports data. We focus on the market for erectile dysfunction drugs as the basis for estimation. This market is ideal for analysis as it is characterized by an abrupt shift in structure, all drugs are branded, the drugs are associated with adverse health events, and have extensive advertising and promotion. We find that advertising and promotion expenditures increase own market share but also increase the share of adverse drug reactions. Competitors' spending decreases market share, while also having an influence on adverse drug reactions.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||HC HE LE|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Kuhn, Michael, 2003.
"Direct-to-Consumer Advertising in Pharmaceutical Markets,"
Working Papers in Economics
05/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Kuhn, Michael, 2006. "Direct to consumer advertising in pharmaceutical markets," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 102-130, January.
- Kurt R Brekke & Michael Kuhn, . "Direct-to-Consumer Advertising in Pharmaceutical Markets," Discussion Papers 03/11, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Michael Kuhn, 2005. "Direct to Consumer Advertising in Pharmaceutical Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 1493, CESifo Group Munich.
- Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "Persuasion or Information? The Economics of Prescription Drug Advertising," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(1), pages 45-74, April.
- Hurwitz, Mark A & Caves, Richard E, 1988. "Persuasion or Information? Promotion and the Shares of Brand Name and Generic Pharmaceuticals," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(2), pages 299-320, October.
- Gregory S. Crawford & Matthew Shum, 2005. "Uncertainty and Learning in Pharmaceutical Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1137-1173, 07.
- Toshiaki Iizuka, 2004. "What Explains the Use of Direct-to-Consumer Advertising of Prescription Drugs?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 349-379, 09.
- Andrew Ching & Masakazu Ishihara, 2010. "The effects of detailing on prescribing decisions under quality uncertainty," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 123-165, June.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Eric L. Keuffel, 2013. "Regulation of the Pharmaceutical-Biotechnology Industry," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Regulation and Its Reform: What Have We Learned?, pages 407-484 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Toshiaki Iizuka & Ginger Zhe Jin, 2005. "The Effect of Prescription Drug Advertising on Doctor Visits," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 701-727, 09.
- Sridhar Narayanan & Puneet Manchanda, 2009. "Heterogeneous Learning and the Targeting of Marketing Communication for New Products," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(3), pages 424-441, 05-06.
- John E. Calfee & Clifford Winston & Randolph Stempski, 2002. "Direct-to-Consumer Advertising and the Demand for Cholesterol-Reducing Drugs," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(S2), pages 673-690.
- Horowitz, Ira, 1970. "A Note on Advertising and Uncertainty," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 151-60, April.
- Dehez, Pierre & Jacquemin, Alex, 1975. "A Note on Advertising Policy under Uncertainty and Dynamic Conditions," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 73-78, September.
- Armantier Olivier & Namoro Soiliou, 2006. "Prescription Drug Advertising and Patient Compliance: A Physician Agency Approach," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-41, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.