A Disaggregated, Structural Analysis of Retirement by Race, Difficulty of Work and Health
Intergroup differences in retirement rates by race, major occupation and health status are examined and allocated to differences in budget sets and indifference curve parameters. In addition, comparisons indicate that average retirement rates for groups may, at times, be misleading indicators of marginal responses to incentives. It is predicted that all groups will respond to the work incentives in the 1983 Social Security Amendments, even those ill health and difficult jobs, and the resulting increases in earnings are predicted to amount to from one sixth to over one half of the reductionin lifetime benefits created by the amendments.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1985|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Gustman, Alan and Thomas Steinmeier, "A Disaggregated, Structural Analysisof Retirement by Race, Difficulty of Work and Health," Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 68, No. 3, August 1986, pp. 509-513.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan L. Gustman, 1983.
"Modeling Individuals' Behavior: Evaluation of a Policymaker's Tool,"
NBER Working Papers
1223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman, 1984. "Modeling individuals' behavior: Evaluation of a policymaker's tool," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(2), pages 191-205.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1984.
"Partial retirement and the analysis of retirement behavior,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 37(3), pages 403-415, April.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1981. "Partial Retirement and the Analysis of Retirement Behavior," NBER Working Papers 0763, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haveman, Robert H. & Wolfe, Barbara L., 1984. "Disability transfers and early retirement: a casual relationship?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 47-66, June.
- Gustman, Alan L & Steinmeier, Thomas L, 1986.
"A Structural Retirement Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 555-84, May.
- Haveman, Robert H & Wolfe, Barbara L, 1984. "The Decline in Male Labor Force Participation: Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 532-41, June.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1982. "Health and Wage: A Simultaneous Equation Model with Multiple Discrete Indicators," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(1), pages 199-221, February.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1984. "Disability Insurance and Male Labor Force Participation: A Response," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 542-49, June.
- Jonathan S. Leonard, 1979. "The Social Security Disability Program and Labor Force Participation," NBER Working Papers 0392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1982. "The Male Labour Force Participation Decision: Health, Reported Health, and Economic Incentives," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(193), pages 81-91, February.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1982. "Partial Retirement and Wage Profiles of Older Workers," NBER Working Papers 1000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1585. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.