A Structural Retirement Model
The model analyzed here constrains most work on the main job to be full time. Partial retirement requires a job change and a wage reduction.Estimates of utility function parameters and their distributions incorporate information on age of leaving the main job and of full retirement. These estimates determine the slope at different ages and the convexity of within period indifference curves between compensation and leisure. Even though age specific dummy variables are not used, the model closely tracks retirement behavior. Policy analysis based on earlier models with simpler structures is shown to be misleading.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1983|
|Publication status:||published as Gustman, Alan and Thomas Steinmeier. "A Structural Retirement Model." Econometrica, Vol. 54, No. 3, (May 1986), pp. 555-584.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger H. Gordon & Alan S. Blinder, 1980.
"Market wages, reservation wages, and retirement decisions,"
in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 277-308
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Blinder, Alan S., 1980. "Market wages, reservation wages, and retirement decisions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 277-308, October.
- Roger H. Gordon & Alan S. Blinder, 1980. "Market Wages, Reservation Wages, and Retirement Decisions," NBER Working Papers 0513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MaCurdy, Thomas E, 1981. "An Empirical Model of Labor Supply in a Life-Cycle Setting," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1059-1085, December.
- A. Zabalza & C. Pissarides & M. Barton, 1980. "Social security and the choice between full-time work, part-time work and retirement," NBER Chapters, in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 245-276 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zabalza, A. & Pissarides, C. & Barton, M., 1980. "Social security and the choice between full-time work, part-time work and retirement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 245-276, October.
- Alan S. Blinder & Roger H. Gordon & Donald E. Wise, 1980. "Reconsidering the Work Disincentive Effects of Social Security," NBER Working Papers 0562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.