A Disaggregated, Structural Analysis of Retirement by Race, Difficulty of Work and Health
Intergroup differences in retirement rates by race, major occupation and health status are examined and allocated to differences in budget sets and indifference curve parameters. In addition, comparisons indicate that average retirement rates for groups may, at times, be misleading indicators of marginal responses to incentives. It is predicted that all groups will respond to the work incentives in the 1983 Social Security Amendments, even those ill health and difficult jobs, and the resulting increases in earnings are predicted to amount to from one sixth to over one half of the reductionin lifetime benefits created by the amendments.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 68 (1986)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1982. "Partial Retirement and Wage Profiles of Older Workers," NBER Working Papers 1000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1981.
"Partial Retirement and the Analysis of Retirement Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
0763, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1984. "Partial retirement and the analysis of retirement behavior," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 37(3), pages 403-415, April.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 1983.
"A Structural Retirement Model,"
NBER Working Papers
1237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan S. Leonard, 1979. "The Social Security Disability Program and Labor Force Participation," NBER Working Papers 0392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman, 1983.
"Modeling Individuals' Behavior: Evaluation of a Policymaker's Tool,"
NBER Working Papers
1223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman, 1984. "Modeling individuals' behavior: Evaluation of a policymaker's tool," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(2), pages 191-205.
- Haveman, Robert H & Wolfe, Barbara L, 1984. "The Decline in Male Labor Force Participation: Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 532-41, June.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1982. "Health and Wage: A Simultaneous Equation Model with Multiple Discrete Indicators," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(1), pages 199-221, February.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1982. "The Male Labour Force Participation Decision: Health, Reported Health, and Economic Incentives," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(193), pages 81-91, February.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1984. "Disability Insurance and Male Labor Force Participation: A Response," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 542-49, June.
- Haveman, Robert H. & Wolfe, Barbara L., 1984. "Disability transfers and early retirement: a casual relationship?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 47-66, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:68:y:1986:i:3:p:509-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.