Unanticipated Money and Interest Rates
Evidence on the relationship between unanticipated money and interestrates has been provided by two types of studies. First, several researchers have investigated the relationship using quarterly data. Second, a number of researchers have examined the effect of money announcement surprises on interest rates. In both instances, the correlation between money surprises and interest rates has usually been found to be non-negative.This paper first provides an interpretation of the correlation between unanticipated money and interest rates in terms of Federal Reserve policy objectives and operating procedures. Then, the correlation of unanticipated money and both short- and long-term interest rates is examined over weekly intervals, combining several aspects of the previous quarterly and announcement studies. In addition, the distinction between unpredicted and unperceived money also is considered.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1984|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Roely, V. Vance and Carl E. Walsh. "Unanticipated Money and Interest Rates ." American Economic Review, Vol. 74, No. 2, (May 1984), pp. 49-54.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Jacob, 1981. "The "Rationality" of Money Supply Expectations and the Short-Run Response of Interest Rates to Monetary Surprises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 13(4), pages 409-24, November.
- Barro, Robert J. & Hercowitz, Zvi, 1980.
"Money stock revisions and unanticipated money growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 257-267, April.
- Robert J. Barro & Zvi Hercowitz, 1979. "Money Stock Revisions and Unanticipated Money Growth," NBER Working Papers 0329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Makin, John H, 1983. "Real Interest, Money Surprises, Anticipated Inflation and Fiscal Deficits," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 374-84, August.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1980.
"Monetary Policy and Long-Term Interest Rates: An Efficient Markets Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
0517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederie S., 1981. "Monetary policy and long-term interest rates : An efficient markets approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 29-55.
- Pesando, James E, 1979. "On the Random Walk Characteristics of Short- and Long-Term Interest Rates in an Efficient Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(4), pages 457-66, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.