News from the U.S. and Japan : Which moves the yen/dollar exchange rate?
Intra-daily movements in the yen/dollar exchange rate were examined in four non-overlapping segments within each business day from January1980 to September 1985. The empirical results yielded several conclusions. First, most depreciation of the yen (appreciation of the dollar) from late 1982 to early 1984 occurred in the New York market. The direction of the yen was mostly neutral in the Tokyo market. Also, the volatility of the exchange rate decreased considerably in the Tokyo market. The volatility in the New York market, on the other hand, did not decrease untilvery recently. Second, market efficiency was examined in terms of the random-walk behavior of short-run movements in the yen/dollar rate. Information on the preceding segments within a day was sometimes significant in predicting the exchange rate movement in a market. Third, there is evidence of the "profit-taking" behavior, or overshooting, in that a large jump (more than 3 absolute yen) in any market tends to be reversed by a fifth of the jump during the same day in the next market. Finally,the relative effects of news from the U.S. and Japan were examined explicitly both with respect to possible major events behind large jumps andthe response of the yen/dollar rate to particular economic announcements in both countries. Over the entire sample period, news concerning the U.S. money stock had the only significant effects.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pearce, Douglas K & Roley, V Vance, 1985.
"Stock Prices and Economic News,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 49-67, January.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1982.
"Exchange Rates amd "News": A Multi-Currency Approach,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
238, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1982. "Exchange rates and `news': A multi-currency approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 211-224, January.
- Ito, Takatoshi, 1988.
"Use of (Time-Domain) Vector Autoregressions to Test Uncovered Interest Parity,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 296-305, May.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1984. "Use of (Time-Domain) Vector Autoregressions to Test Uncovered Interest Parity," NBER Working Papers 1493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Jacob, 1981. "The "Rationality" of Money Supply Expectations and the Short-Run Response of Interest Rates to Monetary Surprises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 13(4), pages 409-24, November.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Hardouvelis, Gikas A, 1985. "Commodity Prices, Money Surprises and Fed Credibility," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 425-38, November.
- Roley, V Vance, 1983. "The Response of Short-Term Interest Rates to Weekly Money Announcements," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 15(3), pages 344-54, August.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1984. "Exchange rates and `news': Reply," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 123-126, April.
- V. Vance Roley, 1982. "Weekly money supply announcements and the volatility of short-term interest rates," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Apr, pages 3-15.
- Cornell, Bradford, 1983. "The Money Supply Announcements Puzzle: Review and Interpretation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 644-57, September.
- Mussa, Michael, 1979. "Empirical regularities in the behavior of exchange rates and theories of the foreign exchange market," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 9-57, January.
- Dallas S. Batten & Daniel L. Thornton, 1983.
"Discount rate changes and the foreign exchange market,"
1983-016, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Batten, Dallas S. & Thornton, Daniel L., 1984. "Discount rate changes and the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 279-292, December.
- Roley, V. Vance, 1985. "The response of interest rates to money announcements under alternative operating procedures and reserve requirement systems," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue 7, pages 127-160.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1983.
"Floating exchange rates, expectations and new information,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 321-336.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1983. "Floating Exchange Rates, Expectations and New Information," NBER Working Papers 1064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1983. "Capital Controls and Covered Interest Parity," NBER Working Papers 1187, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. Vance Roley, 1982. "The Response of Short-Term Interest Rates to Weekly Money Announcements," NBER Working Papers 1001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hakkio, Craig S & Pearce, Douglas K, 1985. "The Reaction of Exchange Rates to Economic News," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(4), pages 621-36, October.
- Longworth, David, 1984. "Exchange rates and `news': A comment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 119-121, April.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1980. "Exchange Rate Economics: Where Do We Stand?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(1, Tenth ), pages 143-206.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:moneco:v:19:y:1987:i:2:p:255-277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.