Aged-Care Support in Japan: Perspectives and Challenges
This study explores economic aspects of the market for long term care (LTC) with a special focus on Japan. First, we describe the LTC system in Japan as presently implemented, and we highlight some aspects of the program that are novel and potentially of interest to other countries seeking models for long-term care provision. Next, we discuss alternative projections of Japanese LTC utilization and costs. Finally, since Japan appears likely to experience important shortfalls in LTC in the future, we discuss whether such services might be more efficiently organized and financed under alternate forms of provision.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Mitchell, Olivia S., John Piggott & Satoshi Shimizutani. “Aged-Care Support in Japan: Perspectives and Challenges.” Benefits Quarterly. 1st Quarter 2006 22(1):7-18.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan M. Garber & Thomas E. MaCurdy, 1990. "Predicting Nursing Home Utilization among the High-Risk Elderly," NBER Chapters, in: Issues in the Economics of Aging, pages 173-204 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:esj:esridp:93 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alvin E. Headen Jr., 1993. "Economic Disability and Health Determinants of the Hazard of Nursing Home Entry," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 80-110.
- Amy Finkelstein & Kathleen McGarry, 2003. "Private Information and its Effect on Market Equilibrium: New Evidence from Long-Term Care Insurance," NBER Working Papers 9957, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi & SUZUKI Wataru & NOGUCHI Haruko, 2004. "Outsourcing At-home Elderly Care and Female Labor Supply: Micro-level Evidence from Japan's Unique Experience," ESRI Discussion paper series 093, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Haruko Noguchi & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2005. "The Determinants of Exit from Nursing Homes and the Price Elasticity of Nursing Home Care: Evidence from Japanese Micro-level Data," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d04-67, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott, 2004.
"Unlocking Housing Equity in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
10340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell, Olivia S. & Piggott, John, 2004. "Unlocking housing equity in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 466-505, December.
- Komamura, Kohei & Yamada, Atsuhiro, 2004. "Who bears the burden of social insurance? Evidence from Japanese health and long-term care insurance data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 565-581, December.
- Darius Lakdawalla & Tomas Philipson, 2002.
"The Rise in Old-Age Longevity and the Market for Long-Term Care,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 295-306, March.
- Thomas Philipson & Darius Lakdawalla, 1998. "The Rise in Old Age Longevity and the Market for Long-Term Care," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 146, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Darius Lakdawalla & Tomas Philipson, 1998. "The Rise in Old Age Longevity and the Market for Long-Term Care," NBER Working Papers 6547, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Norton, Edward C., 2000. "Long-term care," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 17, pages 955-994 Elsevier.
- SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi & SUZUKI Wataru, 2002. "The Quality and Efficiency of At-Home Long-term Care in Japan: Evidence from Micro-level Data," ESRI Discussion paper series 018, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi & NOGUCHI Haruko, 2002. "Earnings and Quality Differentials in For-Profit versus Nonprofit Long-Term Care: Evidence from Japan's Long-Term Care Market," ESRI Discussion paper series 017, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Pauly, Mark V, 1990. "The Rational Nonpurchase of Long-term-Care Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(1), pages 153-68, February.
- Shimizutani, Satoshi & Suzuki, Wataru, 2007. "Quality and efficiency of home help elderly care in Japan: Evidence from micro-level data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 287-301, June.
- Helen I. Doerpinghaus & Sandra G. Gustavson, 2002. "Long-Term Care Insurance Purchase Patterns," Risk Management and Insurance Review, American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 5(1), pages 31-43, 09.
- Alan M Garber, 2001. "Health Care," Levine's Working Paper Archive 391749000000000153, David K. Levine.
- Andrew Dick & Alan M. Garber & Thomas E. MaCurdy, 1994. "Forecasting Nursing Home Utilization of Elderly Americans," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in the Economics of Aging, pages 365-394 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:10882. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.