Determinants of Labor Demand in Colombia: 1976-1996
Colombia's unemployment rate rose to 20% during the late 1990s from less than 8% in 1994. This paper argues that this has been the result of high non-wage labor costs embodied in the legislation. The estimated own-wage labor demand elasticity is around 0.5, which implies that a reduction in those costs, while politically costly, can have a significant payoff in terms of equity and efficiency. We also find that adjustment costs of changing employment as well as wage elasticities were not affected by changes in the regulations regarding severance payments and dismissal costs. In this sense, structural reforms did have an impact on labor demand through its effect on relative prices alone. Finally, we conclude that the wage elasticity of labor demand increases (in absolute terms) during contractions. Hence, the increase in prices and the beginning of a recession had a significant effect on employment.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Heckman, James J. and Carmen Pages (eds.) Law and employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean, NBER Conference Report series. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press, 2004.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x, June.
- Mauricio Cárdenas & Mauricio Olivera, 1995.
"La Crítica de Lucas y la inversión en Colombia: Nueva Evidencia,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 14(27), pages 95-138, June.
- Mauricio Cárdenas S. & Mauricio Olivera G., 1995. "La Crítica de Lucas y la inversión en Colombia: Nueva Evidencia," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 14(27), pages 95-138, Junio.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Jonathan Gruber, 1995.
"The Incidence of Payroll Taxation: Evidence from Chile,"
NBER Working Papers
5053, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gruber, Jonathan, 1997. "The Incidence of Payroll Taxation: Evidence from Chile," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages S72-101, July.
- Ramon E. Lopez, 1980. "The Structure of Production and the Derived Demand for Inputs in Canadian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(1), pages 38-45.
- Eduardo Lora & Carmen Pagés-Serra, 1997.
"La legislación laboral en el proceso de reformas estructurales de América Latina y el Caribe,"
Research Department Publications
4065, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora & Carmen Pagés, 1997. "La legislación laboral en el proceso de reformas estructurales de América Latina y el Caribe," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 7625, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992. "The macroeconomic impact of flexible labor contracts, with an application to Spain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1013-1047, June.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1984.
"The Demand for Labor in the Long Run,"
NBER Working Papers
1297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burda, Michael C., 1991. "Monopolistic competition, costs of adjustment, and the behavior of European manufacturing employment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 61-79, January.
- Newell, A. & Symons, J. S. V., 1987. "Corporatism, laissez-faire and the rise in unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 567-601, April.
- Stefano Farné & Oskar Andrés Nupia, 1996. "Reforma laboral, empleo e ingresos de los trabajadores temporales en Colombia," COYUNTURA SOCIAL 013209, FEDESARROLLO.
- Eduardo Lora Torres & Marta Luz Henao, 1995. "Efectos económicos y sociales de la legislación laboral," COYUNTURA SOCIAL 013217, FEDESARROLLO.
- Burgess, Simon M & Dolado, Juan J, 1989. "Intertemporal Rules with Variable Speed of Adjustment: An Application to U.K. Manufacturing Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(396), pages 347-65, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:10077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.