Supposedly Strong Instruments and Good Leverage Points
In this paper, we warn on the overoptimistic conclusions led by weak instruments testing when good leverage points are present in the first stage of an IV estimation. Some simulations and an empirical application are provided to illustrate the point raised.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rempart de la Vierge 8, B-5000 Namur|
Web page: http://www.fundp.ac.be/en/eco
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews & James H. Stock, 2005.
"Inference with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodolphe Desbordes & Vincenzo Verardi, 2012. "A robust instrumental-variables estimator," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 12(2), pages 169–181, June.
- Kleibergen, Frank & Paap, Richard, 2006.
"Generalized reduced rank tests using the singular value decomposition,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 97-126, July.
- Richard Paap & Frank Kleibergen, 2004. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 195, Econometric Society.
- Frank Kleibergen & Richard Paap, 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-003/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Paap, R., 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-01, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- McKenzie, David & Seynabou Sakho, Yaye, 2010.
"Does it pay firms to register for taxes? The impact of formality on firm profitability,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 15-24, January.
- McKenzie, David & Sakho, Yaye Seynabou, 2007. "Does it pay firms to register for taxes ? the impact of formality on firm profitability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4449, The World Bank.
- McKenzie, David & Sakho, Yaye Seynabou, 2007. "Does It Pay Firms to Register for Taxes? The Impact of Formality on Firm Profitability," IZA Discussion Papers 3179, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James H. Stock & Motohiro Yogo, 2002. "Testing for Weak Instruments in Linear IV Regression," NBER Technical Working Papers 0284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nam:wpaper:1203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Helene Mathieu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.