Indigenous Forests and Forest Sink Policy in New Zealand
This paper tackles the complex issue of how to include regenerating indigenous forest in a domestic carbon credit system. The paper specifically addresses New Zealand conditions but most of the issues and conclusions are relevant in any developed country with indigenous regrowth. The paper begins by defining the constraints that any sink policy must meet. I begin by discussing environmental integrity, and in particular measurement and monitoring, "human-induced" change, and permanence. I then outline the international rules as they stand and how these could be translated into domestic rules.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.motu.org.nz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan-Pablo Montero, 1999. "Voluntary Compliance with Market-Based Environmental Policy: Evidence from the U.S. Acid Rain Program," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 998-1033, October.
- Toman, Michael & Kerr, Suzi & Sedjo, Roger & Birdsey, Richard & Kauppi, Pekka & Noble, Ian & Brown, Sandra & Krankina, Olga & Moura-Costa, Pedro, 2001. "Can Carbon Sinks be Operational? An RFF Workshop Summary," Discussion Papers dp-01-26, Resources For the Future.
- Suzi Kerr & Shuguang Liu & Alexander S. P. Pfaff & R. Flint Hughes, 2003.
"Carbon Dynamics and Land-Use Choices: Building a Regional-Scale Multidisciplinary Model,"
03_06, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Suzi Kerr & Shuguang Liu & Alexander Pfaff & Flint Hughes, 2003. "Carbon Dynamics and Land-use Choices: Building a Regional-scale Multidisciplinary Model," Others 0309005, EconWPA.
- Philip Fearnside & Daniel Lashof & Pedro Moura-Costa, 2000. "Accounting for time in Mitigating Global Warming through land-use change and forestry," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 239-270, September.
- Ballard, Charles L & Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1985. "General Equilibrium Computations of the Marginal Welfare Costs of Taxes in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 128-38, March.
- David C Mare & Peter Mawson & Jason Timmins, 2001. "Deprivation in New Zealand: Regional Patterns and Changes," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/09, New Zealand Treasury.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtu:wpaper:03_15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Watene)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.