The Competitive Effects of “Consideration Payments”: Lessons from Radio Payola
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Lindsay, Cotton M & Maloney, Michael T, 1988. "Party Politics and the Price of Payola," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(2), pages 203-221, April.
- Benjamin Klein & Joshua D. Wright, 2007. "The Economics of Slotting Contracts," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50, pages 421-454.
- Justin Wolfers, 2006.
"Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1802-1820, December.
- Justin Wolfers, 2003. "Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results," NBER Working Papers 10014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfers, Justin, 2003. "Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results," Research Papers 1819, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Coase, R H, 1979. "Payola in Radio and Television Broadcasting," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 269-328, October.
- Wujin Chu, 1992. "Demand Signalling and Screening in Channels of Distribution," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(4), pages 327-347.
- Sullivan, Mary W, 1997. "Slotting Allowances and the Market for New Products," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(2), pages 461-493, October.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Adam Rennhoff, 2010. "The Consequences of “Consideration Payments”: Lessons from Radio Payola," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 36(2), pages 133-147, March.
- Tirtha Dhar, 2013. "Can Margin Differences in Vertical Marketing Channels Lead to Contracts with Slotting Fees?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 59(12), pages 2766-2771, December.
- Pio Baake & Vanessa Schlippenbach, 2014. "The Impact of Upfront Payments on Assortment Decisions in Retailing," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 44(1), pages 95-111, February.
- Stéphane Caprice & Vanessa von Schlippenbach, 2013.
"One‐Stop Shopping as a Cause of Slotting Fees: A Rent‐Shifting Mechanism,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 468-487, September.
- Caprice, Stéphane & von Schlippenbach, Vanessa, 2013. "One-stop shopping as a cause of slotting fees: A rent-shifting mechanism," DICE Discussion Papers 97, Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- D. Johnsen, 2009. "The Ethics of “Commercial Bribery”: Integrative Social Contract Theory Meets Transaction Cost Economics," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(4), pages 791-803, October.
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Bontems, Philippe & Lepore, Jason, 2015.
"Oligopoly intermediation, relative rivalry and market conduct,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 49-59.
- Stephen Hamilton & Philippe Bontems & Jason Lepore, 2015. "Oligopoly intermediation, relative rivalry and market conduct," Post-Print hal-01183029, HAL.
- Innes, Robert & Hamilton, Stephen F., 2006.
"Naked slotting fees for vertical control of multi-product retail markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 303-318, March.
- Innes, Robert & Hamilton, Stephen, 2004. "Naked Slotting Fees for Vertical Control of Multi-Product Retail Markets," Working Papers 201545, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Lømo, Teis Lunde & Meland, Frode & Sandvik, Håvard Mork, 2020. "Do slotting allowances reduce product variety?," Working Papers in Economics 7/20, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Steve McCorriston, 2002. "Why should imperfect competition matter to agricultural economists?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 349-371, July.
- Øystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind, 2008. "Do Slotting Allowances Harm Retail Competition?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(2), pages 367-384, June.
- Fangruo Chen, 2007. "Auctioning Supply Contracts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(10), pages 1562-1576, October.
- Geng, Qin & Minutolo, Marcel C., 2010. "Failure fee under stochastic demand and information asymmetry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 269-279, November.
- Leslie M. Marx & Greg Shaffer, 2010. "Slotting Allowances and Scarce Shelf Space," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 575-603, September.
- Dmitri Kuksov & Amit Pazgal, 2007. "Research Note—The Effects of Costs and Competition on Slotting Allowances," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(2), pages 259-267, 03-04.
- Hao Wang, 2004. "Slotting Allowances and Retailer Market Power," Industrial Organization 0411009, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- von Schlippenbach, Vanessa, 2007. "REGALMIETEN UND DIE EFFIZIENZ VON ZULIEFERERVERTRAGEN (German)," 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 7609, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Leslie M. Marx & Greg Shaffer, 2007. "Upfront payments and exclusion in downstream markets," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(3), pages 823-843, September.
- Alessandro Bonanno & Carlo Russo & Luisa Menapace, 2018. "Market power and bargaining in agrifood markets: A review of emerging topics and tools," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 34(1), pages 6-23, December.
- Oystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Jan Yngve Sand, 2008. "Slotting Allowances and Manufacturers’ Retail Sales Effort," CESifo Working Paper Series 2396, CESifo.
- Ian Sheldon & Richard Sperling, 2003. "Estimating the Extent of Imperfect Competition in the Food Industry: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-109, March.
More about this item
KeywordsRadio; Payola; Regulation; Slotting Allowances;
All these keywords.
- L42 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Vertical Restraints; Resale Price Maintenance; Quantity Discounts
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mts:wpaper:200904. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/efmtsus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: E. Anthon Eff (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/efmtsus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.