Failure fee under stochastic demand and information asymmetry
We study a failure fee contract designed by a price-setting newsvendor retailer under information asymmetry. Under the contract, the manufacturer must pay the retailer a failure fee if the sales volume misses a target. We propose and compare two types of failure fee contracts: a brand-by-brand contract and a uniform contract. We find that the retailer prefers one to the other depending on parameters.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akshay R. Rao & Humaira Mahi, 2003. "The Price of Launching a New Product: Empirical Evidence on Factors Affecting the Relative Magnitude of Slotting Allowances," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(2), pages 246-268, January.
- Preyas S. Desai, 2000. "Multiple Messages to Retain Retailers: Signaling New Product Demand," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4), pages 381-389, August.
- Martin A. Lariviere & V. Padmanabhan, 1997. "Slotting Allowances and New Product Introductions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(2), pages 112-128.
- Greg Shaffer, 1991. "Slotting Allowances and Resale Price Maintenance: A Comparison of Facilitating Practices," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(1), pages 120-135, Spring.
- Handy, Charles R. & Thompson, Gary D. & Glaser, Lewrene K., 2001. "Recent Changes In Marketing And Trade Practices In The U.S. Lettuce And Fresh-Cut Vegetable Industries," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33601, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Øystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Jan Yngve Sand, 2009.
"Slotting Allowances and Manufacturers’ Retail Sales Effort,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 266-282, July.
- Oystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Jan Yngve Sand, 2008. "Slotting Allowances and Manufacturers’ Retail Sales Effort," CESifo Working Paper Series 2396, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wujin Chu, 1992. "Demand Signalling and Screening in Channels of Distribution," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(4), pages 327-347.
- Bagnoli, M. & Bergstrom, T., 1989.
"Log-Concave Probability And Its Applications,"
89-23, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Özalp Özer & Wei Wei, 2006. "Strategic Commitments for an Optimal Capacity Decision Under Asymmetric Forecast Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(8), pages 1238-1257, August.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1979.
"Incentive Compatibility and the Bargaining Problem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1977. "Incentive Compatability and the Bargaining Problem," Discussion Papers 284, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Dmitri Kuksov & Amit Pazgal, 2007. "Research Note—The Effects of Costs and Competition on Slotting Allowances," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(2), pages 259-267, 03-04.
- Azzeddine M. Azzam;, 2001. "Slotting allowances and price-cost margins: A note," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 417-422.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Zhou, Yong-Wu, 2007. "A stochastic and asymmetric-information framework for a dominant-manufacturer supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 295-316, January.
- Sullivan, Mary W, 1997. "Slotting Allowances and the Market for New Products," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(2), pages 461-93, October.
- Timothy J. Richards, 2004. "Slotting Allowances as Real Options: An Alternative Explanation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 675-696, October.
- Gan, Xianghua & Sethi, Suresh P. & Zhou, Jing, 2010. "Commitment-penalty contracts in drop-shipping supply chains with asymmetric demand information," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 449-462, August.
- Stephen F. Hamilton, 2003. "Slotting Allowances as a Facilitating Practice by Food Processors in Wholesale Grocery Markets: Profitability and Welfare Effects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 797-813.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:128:y:2010:i:1:p:269-279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.