Failure fee under stochastic demand and information asymmetry
We study a failure fee contract designed by a price-setting newsvendor retailer under information asymmetry. Under the contract, the manufacturer must pay the retailer a failure fee if the sales volume misses a target. We propose and compare two types of failure fee contracts: a brand-by-brand contract and a uniform contract. We find that the retailer prefers one to the other depending on parameters.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy J. Richards, 2004. "Slotting Allowances as Real Options: An Alternative Explanation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 675-696, October.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1979.
"Incentive Compatibility and the Bargaining Problem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1977. "Incentive Compatability and the Bargaining Problem," Discussion Papers 284, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Mark Bagnoli & Ted Bergstrom, 2005.
"Log-concave probability and its applications,"
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 445-469, 08.
- Özalp Özer & Wei Wei, 2006. "Strategic Commitments for an Optimal Capacity Decision Under Asymmetric Forecast Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(8), pages 1238-1257, August.
- Dmitri Kuksov & Amit Pazgal, 2007. "Research Note—The Effects of Costs and Competition on Slotting Allowances," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(2), pages 259-267, 03-04.
- Greg Shaffer, 1991. "Slotting Allowances and Resale Price Maintenance: A Comparison of Facilitating Practices," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(1), pages 120-135, Spring.
- Øystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Jan Yngve Sand, 2009.
"Slotting Allowances and Manufacturers’ Retail Sales Effort,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 266-282, July.
- Oystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Jan Yngve Sand, 2008. "Slotting Allowances and Manufacturers’ Retail Sales Effort," CESifo Working Paper Series 2396, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wujin Chu, 1992. "Demand Signalling and Screening in Channels of Distribution," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(4), pages 327-347.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Zhou, Yong-Wu, 2007. "A stochastic and asymmetric-information framework for a dominant-manufacturer supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 295-316, January.
- Martin A. Lariviere & V. Padmanabhan, 1997. "Slotting Allowances and New Product Introductions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(2), pages 112-128.
- Akshay R. Rao & Humaira Mahi, 2003. "The Price of Launching a New Product: Empirical Evidence on Factors Affecting the Relative Magnitude of Slotting Allowances," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(2), pages 246-268, January.
- Sullivan, Mary W, 1997. "Slotting Allowances and the Market for New Products," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(2), pages 461-93, October.
- Gan, Xianghua & Sethi, Suresh P. & Zhou, Jing, 2010. "Commitment-penalty contracts in drop-shipping supply chains with asymmetric demand information," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 449-462, August.
- Preyas S. Desai, 2000. "Multiple Messages to Retain Retailers: Signaling New Product Demand," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4), pages 381-389, August.
- Stephen F. Hamilton, 2003. "Slotting Allowances as a Facilitating Practice by Food Processors in Wholesale Grocery Markets: Profitability and Welfare Effects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 797-813.
- Azzeddine M. Azzam;, 2001. "Slotting allowances and price-cost margins: A note," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 417-422.
- Handy, Charles R. & Thompson, Gary D. & Glaser, Lewrene K., 2001. "Recent Changes In Marketing And Trade Practices In The U.S. Lettuce And Fresh-Cut Vegetable Industries," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33601, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:128:y:2010:i:1:p:269-279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.