First-Degree Discrimination by a Duopoly: Pricing and Quality Choice
The paper investigates competition in price schedules among vertically differentiated dupolists. First order price discrimination is the unique Nash equilibrium of a sequential game in which firms determine first whether or not to commit to a uniform price, and then simultaneously choose either a single price of a price schedule. Whether the profits earned by both firms are larger or smaller under discrimination than under uniform pricing depends on the quality gap between firms, and on the disparity of consumer preferences. Firms engaged in first degree discrimination choose quality levels that are optimal from a welfare perspective. The paper also reflects on implications of these findings for pricing policies of an incumbent threatened by entry.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 1990. "Endogenous switching costs in a duopoly model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 353-373, September.
- Greg Shaffer & Z. John Zhang, 2000. "Pay to Switch or Pay to Stay: Preference-Based Price Discrimination in Markets with Switching Costs," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 397-424, 06.
- Emch Eric R., 2003. "Price Discrimination via Proprietary Aftermarkets," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-34, April.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991.
"Duopoly and Quality Standards,"
Cahiers de recherche
9128, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Thisse, J.-F. & Vives, X., 1987.
"On the strategic choice of spatial price policy,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1987008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2001. "Competitive Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 579-605, Winter.
- V. Bhaskar & Ted To, 2002.
"Is Perfect Price Discrimination Really Efficient? An Analysis of Free Entry,"
Economics Discussion Papers
537, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- V. Bhaskar & Ted To, 2004. "Is Perfect Price Discrimination Really Efficient? An Analysis of Free Entry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(4), pages 762-776, Winter.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1992.
"Duopoly with spatial and quantity- dependent price discrimination,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 175-185, June.
- HAMILTON, Jonathan & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Duopoly with spatial and quantity-dependent price discrimination," CORE Discussion Papers RP -998, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lederer, Phillip J & Hurter, Arthur P, Jr, 1986. "Competition of Firms: Discriminatory Pricing and Location," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 623-40, May.
- Yannis Bakos, 2001. "The Emerging Landscape for Retail E-Commerce," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 69-80, Winter.
- Vidyanand Choudhary & Anindya Ghose & Tridas Mukhopadhyay & Uday Rajan, 2005. "Personalized Pricing and Quality Differentiation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(7), pages 1120-1130, July.
- Alessandro Acquisti & Hal R. Varian, 2005.
"Conditioning Prices on Purchase History,"
INFORMS, vol. 24(3), pages 367-381, May.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Uri Ronnen, 1991. "Minimum Quality Standards, Fixed Costs, and Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(4), pages 490-504, Winter.
- Holmes, Thomas J, 1989. "The Effects of Third-Degree Price Discrimination in Oligopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 244-50, March.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1999.
"Customer Poaching and Brand Switching,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1871, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Rim Lahmandi-Ayed, 2004.
"Vertical differentiation with non-uniform consumers¡ distribution,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b04114, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Rim Lahmandi-Ayed, 2007. "Vertical differentiation with non-uniform consumers' distribution," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 3(3), pages 179-190.
- Stole, Lars A, 1995. "Nonlinear Pricing and Oligopoly," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 529-62, Winter.
- Hurter, Arthur Jr & Lederer, Phillip J., 1985. "Spatial duopoly with discriminatory pricing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 541-553, November.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 1999. "Dynamic Competition with Customer Recognition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 604-631, Winter.
- Anindya Ghose & Vidyanand Choudhary & Tridas Mukhopadhyay & Uday Rajan, 2002. "Personalized Pricing and Quality Differentiation on the Internet," Review of Marketing Science Working Papers 2-1-1005, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Aguirre, Inaki & Espinosa, Maria Paz & Macho-Stadler, Ines, 1998. "Strategic entry deterrence through spatial price discrimination," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 297-314, May.
- Stole, Lars A., 2007. "Price Discrimination and Competition," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtl:montde:2005-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.