Vertical differentiation with non-uniform consumers' distribution
The note explores a vertical differentiation model with continuous non-uniform consumers' distribution. First some results concerning the finiteness property obtained with uniform consumers' distribution are generalized. Second we prove an existence result of price equilibrium when the distribution is concave. Finally we exhibit a counter-example to the existence of price equilibrium to show the importance of the concavity assumption on the distribution.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 3 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1742-7355|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1742-7355|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lahmandi-Ayed, Rim, 2000.
"Natural Oligopolies: A Vertical Differentiation Model,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(4), pages 971-987, November.
- Lahmandi-Ayed, R, 1996. "Natural Oligopolies : A Vertical Differentiation Model," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 96.05, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Rim Lahmandi-Ayed, 2004. "Finiteness property in vertically differentiated markets: a note on locally increasing and decreasing returns," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 23(2), pages 371-382, January.
- Acharyya, Rajat, 1998. "Monopoly and product quality: Separating or pooling menu?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 187-194, November.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1983. "Natural Oligopolies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1469-1483, September.
- Kim, Joo-Han & Kim, Jae-Cheol, 1996. "Quality choice of multiproduct monopolist and spill-over effect," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 345-352, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)