Multivariate tests of asset pricing: Simulation evidence from an emerging market
The finite sample performance of the Wald, GMM and Likelihood Ratio (LR) tests of multivariate asset pricing tests have been investigated in several studies on the US financial markets. This paper extends this analysis in two important ways. Firstly, considering the fact that the Wald test is not invariant to alternative non-linear formulation of the null hypothesis the paper investigates whether alternative forms of the Wald and GMM tests result in considerable difference in size and power. Secondly, the paper extends the analysis to the emerging market data. Emerging markets provide an interesting practical laboratory to test asset pricing models. The characteristics of emerging markets are different from the well developed markets of US, Japan and Europe. It is found that the asymptotic Wald and GMM tests based on Chi-Square critical values result in considerable size distortions. The bootstrap tests yield the correct sizes. Multiplicative from of bootstrap GMM test appears to outperform the LR test when the returns deviate from normality and when the deviations from the asset pricing model are smaller. Application of the bootstrap tests to the data from the Karachi Stock Exchange strongly supports the zero-beta CAPM. However the low power of the multivariate tests warrants a careful interpretation of the results.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Amsler, Christine E. & Schmidt, Peter, 1985. "A Monte Carlo investigation of the accuracy of multivariate CAPM tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 359-375, September.
- Pin-Huang Chou & Mei-Chen Lin, 2002. "Tests of international asset pricing model with and without a riskless asset," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(12), pages 873-883.
- Khwaja, Asim Ijaz & Mian, Atif, 2005. "Unchecked intermediaries: Price manipulation in an emerging stock market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 203-241, October.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1995. "Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 773-816.
- Inoue, Atsushi & Shintani, Mototsugu, 2006.
"Bootstrapping GMM estimators for time series,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 531-555, August.
- Atsushi Inoue & Mototsugu Shintani, 2001. "Bootstrapping GMM Estimators for Time Series," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0129, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Aug 2003.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "Betas and Their Regression Tendencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 785-795, June.
- Hall, Peter & Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Bootstrap Critical Values for Tests Based on Generalized-Method-of-Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 891-916, July.
- Gibbons, Michael R., 1982. "Multivariate tests of financial models : A new approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 3-27, March.
- Surajit Ray & B. Ravikumar & N. Eugene Savin, 1998. "Robust Wald Tests in SUR Systems with Adding Up Restrictions: An Algebraic Approach to Proofs of Invariance," Econometrics 9802002, EconWPA.
- Surajit, R. & Ravikumar, B. & Savin, N.E., 1998. "Robust Wald Tests in SUR Systems with Adding Up Restrictions: An Algebraic Approach to Proofs of Invariance," Working Papers 98-01, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Affleck-Graves, J. F. & Bradfield, D. J., 1993. "An examination of the power of Univariate tests of the CAPM: A simulation approach," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 17-33, February.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-636, May-June.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1999. "The Size Distortion Of Bootstrap Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 361-376, June.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1996. "The Size Distorsion of Bootstrap Tests," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a15, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Chou, Pin-Huang, 2000. "Alternative Tests of the Zero-Beta CAPM," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 469-493, Winter.
- Moy, Ronald L. & Lee, Ahyee & Chen, Thomas P., 1997. "Multivariate tests of the capm under heteroskedasticity: A note," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 431-439.
- Gregory, Allan W & Veall, Michael R, 1985. "Formulating Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1465-1468, November.
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1982. "Potential performance and tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 433-466, December.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-455, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)