Multivariate tests of asset pricing: simulation evidence from an emerging market
The finite sample performance of the Wald, Generalized Method of Moment (GMM) and Likelihood Ratio (LR) tests of multivariate asset pricing tests have been investigated in several studies on the US financial markets. This article extends this analysis in two important ways. Firstly, considering the fact that the Wald test is not invariant to alternative nonlinear formulation of the null hypothesis the article investigates whether alternative forms of the Wald and GMM tests result in considerable difference in size and power. Secondly, the article extends the analysis to the emerging market data. Emerging markets provide an interesting practical laboratory to test asset pricing models. The characteristics of emerging markets are different from the well-developed markets of US, Japan and Europe. It is found that the asymptotic Wald and GMM tests based on chi-square critical values result in considerable size distortions. The bootstrap tests yield the correct sizes. A multiplicative form of bootstrap GMM test appears to outperform the LR test when the returns deviate from normality and when the deviations from the asset pricing model are smaller.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Peter & Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Bootstrap Critical Values for Tests Based on Generalized-Method-of-Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 891-916, July.
- Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Predictable Risk and Returns in Emerging Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4621, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1982. "Potential performance and tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 433-466, December.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "Betas and Their Regression Tendencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 785-95, June.
- Atsushi Inoue & Mototsugu Shintani, 2001.
"Bootstrapping GMM Estimators for Time Series,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0129, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Aug 2003.
- Moy, Ronald L. & Lee, Ahyee & Chen, Thomas P., 1997. "Multivariate tests of the capm under heteroskedasticity: A note," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 431-439.
- Amsler, Christine E. & Schmidt, Peter, 1985. "A Monte Carlo investigation of the accuracy of multivariate CAPM tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 359-375, September.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1999.
"The Size Distortion Of Bootstrap Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 361-376, June.
- Gregory, Allan W & Veall, Michael R, 1985. "Formulating Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1465-68, November.
- Surajit Ray & B. Ravikumar & N. Eugene Savin, 1998.
"Robust Wald Tests in SUR Systems with Adding Up Restrictions: An Algebraic Approach to Proofs of Invariance,"
- Surajit, R. & Ravikumar, B. & Savin, N.E., 1998. "Robust Wald Tests in SUR Systems with Adding Up Restrictions: An Algebraic Approach to Proofs of Invariance," Working Papers 98-01, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Pin-Huang Chou & Mei-Chen Lin, 2002. "Tests of international asset pricing model with and without a riskless asset," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(12), pages 873-883.
- Chou, Pin-Huang, 2000. "Alternative Tests of the Zero-Beta CAPM," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 469-93, Winter.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-55, July.
- Affleck-Graves, J. F. & Bradfield, D. J., 1993. "An examination of the power of Univariate tests of the CAPM: A simulation approach," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 17-33, February.
- Gibbons, Michael R., 1982. "Multivariate tests of financial models : A new approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 3-27, March.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Khwaja, Asim Ijaz & Mian, Atif, 2005. "Unchecked intermediaries: Price manipulation in an emerging stock market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 203-241, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:20:y:2010:i:5:p:381-395. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.