Robust Wald Tests in SUR Systems with Adding Up Restrictions: An Algebraic Approach to Proofs of Invariance
In this paper, we examine the robust Wald test statistic for SUR systems with adding up restrictions where the same explanatory variables are present in all equations and where heteroskedasticity and/or autocorrelation of unknown forms may be present. For this case, the coefficients are usually estimated by least squares, equation by equation. For testing the typical hypotheses of interest, we show that the robust Wald statistic, i.e., the statistic based on the heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix estimator, is invariant to the equation deleted. Our proof of invariance is algebraic and does not rely on parametric assumptions or on the knowledge of the covariance matrix of disturbances. Furthermore, the adding-up restrictions we consider are of a general form: the weighted sum of the dependent variables adds up to one of the explanatory variables, not necessarily a constant. We illustrate our results using the Capital Asset Pricing Model.
|Date of creation:||09 Feb 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Postscript; pages: 22 ; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravi Jagannathan & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1995. "The CAPM debate," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 2-17.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Barten, A. P., 1969. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a complete system of demand equations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 7-73.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Mandy, David M. & Martins-Filho, Carlos, 1993. "Seemingly unrelated regressions under additive heteroscedasticity : Theory and share equation applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 315-346, August.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Savin, N Eugene, 1975. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 937-57, Sept.-Nov.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:9802002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.