Campagne électorale, préférences politiques et participation. Une étude empirique sur les élections législatives françaises de 1997
The purpose of this paper is to assess the importance of the electoral campaign to explain turnout and more precisely to evaluate the influence of electoral expenditures and of the multiplication of the candidacies. The study of the these two determinants supposes to control for the influence of the structural determinants of the vote, notably the socio-economic variables, as well as for the influence of the voter partisan preferences, whose impact on turnout is rarely taken in account. After a theoretical analysis of the determinants of electoral abstention, we propose an empirical analysis of the participation at the legislative district level for the French elections of 1997.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13|
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leslie Seidle & David Miller, 1976. "Turnout, rational abstention and campaign effort," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 121-126, September.
- Abrams, Burton A & Settle, Russell F, 1976. "The Effect of Broadcasting on Political Campaign Spending: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1095-1107, October.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00126910 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chapman, Randall G & Palda, Kristian S, 1983. " Electoral Turnout in Rational Voting and Consumption Perspectives," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 337-46, March.
- Knack, Steve, 1994. " Does Rain Help the Republicans? Theory and Evidence on Turnout and the Vote," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 79(1-2), pages 187-209, April.
- Martial Foucault & Abel François, 2005. "Le rendement des dépenses électorales en France. Le cas des élections législatives de 1997," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 56(5), pages 1125-1143.
- Matsusaka, John G & Palda, Filip, 1999. " Voter Turnout: How Much Can We Explain?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 98(3-4), pages 431-46, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:j04009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.