Travail en cours d'études, échec et insertion professionnelle : le cas des DEUG non diplômés
This study examines the how in-school work experiences produce effects on educational achievement and school-to-work transition. More precisely, using Generation 98 data (gathered by CEREQ), we assess the impact of working while in higher education on the probability of graduation and labour market entry. The main results can be summarized as follows. In-school work experiences are not correlated with higher education dropout prior to graduation. On the other hand, it enhances noncompleters access to jobs. However, only regular jobs increase the probability of accessing to permanent contract jobs.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Éric Cahuzac & Jean-François Giret, 2001. "Quand la vie professionnelle commence avant la fin des études : l'insertion des étudiants français," Reflets et perspectives de la vie économique, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 37-49.
- Gerald S. Oettinger, 1999. "Does high school employment affect high school academic performance?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(1), pages 136-151, October.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Daniel R. Sherman, 1987.
"Employment While in College, Academic Achievement, and Postcollege Outcomes: A Summary of Results,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(1), pages 1-23.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Daniel R. Sherman, 1985. "Employment While in College, Academic Achievement and Post-College Outcomes: A Summary of Results," NBER Working Papers 1742, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolbers M., 2001. "Learning and Working: Double Statuses in Youth Transitions within the European Union," ROA Research Memorandum 006, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1995.
"Is High School Employment Consumption or Investment?,"
NBER Working Papers
5030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1997. "Is High School Employment Consumption or Investment?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(4), pages 735-76, October.
- Neumark, David & Rothstein, Donna, 2006.
"School-to-career programs and transitions to employment and higher education,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 374-393, August.
- David Neumark & Donna Rothstein, 2003. "School-to-Career Programs and Transitions to Employment and Higher Education," NBER Working Papers 10060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Parent, 2004. "The Effect of High School Employment on Educational Attainment in Canada," Cahiers de recherche 0413, CIRPEE.
- Beduwe, C & Cahuzac, E, 1997. "Premiere experience professionnelle avant le diplome. Quelle insertion pour les etudiants de second cycle universitaire?," Papers 240, LIRHE - Universite des sciences sociales Toulouse.
- John H. Tyler, 2003. "Using State Child Labor Laws to Identify the Effect of School-Year Work on High School Achievement," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 353-380, April.
- Light, Audrey, 2001. "In-School Work Experience and the Returns to Schooling," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 65-93, January.
- Marcel Dagenais & Claude Montmarquette & Daniel Parent & Nathalie Viennot-Briot, 1999. "Travail pendant les études, performance scolaire et abandon," CIRANO Working Papers 99s-41, CIRANO.
- Häkkinen, Iida, 2004.
"Working while enrolled in a university: Does it pay?,"
Working Paper Series
2004:1, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Hakkinen, Iida, 2006. "Working while enrolled in a university: does it pay?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 167-189, April.
- Catherine Béduwé & Jean-François Giret, 2004. "Le travail en cours d'études a-t-il une valeur professionnelle ?," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 378(1), pages 55-83.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:r07007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.