The FDI-growth nexus in South Africa: A re-examination using quantile regression approach
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Khobai Hlalefang & Hamman Nicolene & Mkhombo Thando & Mhaka Simba & Mavikela Nomahlubi & Phiri Andrew, 2018. "The FDI-Growth Nexus in South Africa: A Re-Examination Using Quantile Regression Approach," Studia Universitatis Babeș-Bolyai Oeconomica, Sciendo, vol. 63(3), pages 33-55, December.
- Khobai, Hlalefang & Hamman, Nicolene & Mkhombo, Thando & Mhaka, Simba & Mavikela, Nomahlubi & Phiri, Andrew, 2017. "The FDI-growth nexus in South Africa: A re-examination using quantile regression approach," MPRA Paper 80152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
References listed on IDEAS
- Romer, Paul M, 1986. "Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- repec:eee:riibaf:v:41:y:2017:i:c:p:434-444 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bengoa, Marta & Sanchez-Robles, Blanca, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and growth: new evidence from Latin America," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 529-545, September.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-261, October.
- Hymer, Stephen, 1970. "The Efficiency (Contradictions) of Multinational Corporations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(2), pages 441-448, May.
- Kevin Honglin Zhang, 2001. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth in China?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(3), pages 679-693, November.
- Robert M. Solow, 1994. "Perspectives on Growth Theory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 45-54, Winter.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004.
"FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ibn:ijefaa:v:9:y:2017:i:5:p:121-131 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nair-Reichert, Usha & Weinhold, Diana, 2001. " Causality Tests for Cross-Country Panels: A New Look at FDI and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(2), pages 153-171, May.
- Moudatsou, Argiro & Kyrkilis, Dimitrios, 2011. "FDI and Economic Growth: Causality for the EU and ASEAN," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 26, pages 554-577.
- Nuno Carlos LEITÃO & Saeed RASEKHI, 2013. "The impact of foreign direct investment on economic growth: the Portuguese experience," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 0(1(578)), pages 51-62, January.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731.
- Henrik Hansen & John Rand, 2006.
"On the Causal Links Between FDI and Growth in Developing Countries,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 21-41, January.
- Henrik Hansen & John Rand, 2004. "On the Causal Links between FDI and Growth in Developing Countries," Discussion Papers 04-30, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Henrik & Rand, John, 2005. "On the Causal Links between FDI and Growth in Developing Countries," WIDER Working Paper Series 031, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sunde, Tafirenyika, 2016. "Foreign direct investment and economic growth: ADRL and causality analysis for South Africa," MPRA Paper 72382, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2016.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Abdul Khaliq & Ilan Noy, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Sectoral Data in Indonesia," Working Papers 200726, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- repec:agr:journl:v:1(578):y:2013:i:1(578):p:51-62 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ghosh Roy Atrayee & Van den Berg Hendrik F, 2006. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: A Time-Series Approach," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Moudatsou, Argiro, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth in the European Union," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 18, pages 689-707.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: An Increasingly Endogenous Relationship," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 393-407, March.
- Fedderke, J.W. & Romm, A.T., 2006.
"Growth impact and determinants of foreign direct investment into South Africa, 1956-2003,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 738-760, September.
- Johannes Fedderke & A.T. Romm, 2004. "Growth Impact and Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment into South Africa, 1956-2003," Working Papers 12, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Dunning, John H, 1973. "The Determinants of International Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 289-336, November.
- Adams, Samuel, 2009. "Foreign Direct investment, domestic investment, and economic growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 939-949, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Mebratu Seyoum & Renshui Wu & Jihong Lin, 2015. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: The Case of Developing African Economies," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 45-64, May.
- Laura Alfaro & Maggie Xiaoyang Chen, 2012.
"Surviving the Global Financial Crisis: Foreign Ownership and Establishment Performance,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 30-55, August.
- Laura Alfaro & Maggie Chen, 2011. "Surviving the Global Financial Crisis: Foreign Ownership and Establishment Performance," NBER Working Papers 17141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang, 2012. "Surviving the global financial crisis : foreign ownership and establishment performance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5946, The World Bank.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-618, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions For Unit Root And Cointegration Tests," Working Paper 918, Economics Department, Queen's University.
- Sheereen Fauzel* & Boopen Seetanah & RV Sannassee, 2015. "Foreign direct investment and welfare nexus in sub Saharan Africa," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 49(4), pages 271-283, October-D.
- Herzer, Dierk & Klasen, Stephan & Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas, 2008. "In search of FDI-led growth in developing countries: The way forward," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 793-810, September.
- Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 1992. "Internalization : An event study test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 41-56, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
More about this item
KeywordsFDI; Economic growth; Quantile regression; Global financial crisis; South Africa.;
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Investment; Capital; Intangible Capital; Capacity
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O40 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mnd:wpaper:1703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrew Phiri). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/denmmza.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.