A Structural Empirical Analysis of Retail Banking Competition: the Case of Hungary
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-456, June.
- Berger, Allen N & Hannan, Timothy H, 1989. "The Price-Concentration Relationship in Banking," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 291-299, May.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002.
"Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001. "Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Nevo, Aviv, 2001.
"Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 307-342, March.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 037, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Aviv Nevo, 2003. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Microeconomics 0303006, EconWPA.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1999. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt7cm5p858, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry," Research Reports 25164, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Aviv Nevo, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," NBER Working Papers 6387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neven, Damien & Roller, Lars-Hendrik, 1999. "An aggregate structural model of competition in the European banking industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 1059-1074, October.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-945, September.
- Daniel McFadden, 1977. "Modelling the Choice of Residential Location," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 477, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1987. "The price-concentration relationship in banking," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 100, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Suominen, Matti, 1994. " Measuring Competition in Banking: A Two-Product Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(1), pages 95-110.
- Márcio I. Nakane & Leonardo S. Alencar & Fabio Kanczuk, 2006. "Demand for Bank Services and Market Power in Brazilian Banking," Working Papers Series 107, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip, 2000. "Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1045-1066, June.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Verboven, Frank, 2005.
"Quantifying the effects from horizontal mergers in European competition policy,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 669-691, December.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "Quantifying the Effects from Horizontal Mergers in European Competition Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2697, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Corts, Kenneth S., 1998. "Conduct parameters and the measurement of market power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 227-250, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ho, Chun-Yu, 2012.
"Market structure, welfare, and banking reform in China,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 291-313.
- Ho, Chun-Yu, 2009. "Market structure, welfare, and banking reform in China," BOFIT Discussion Papers 19/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Chun-Yu Ho, 2009. "Market Structure, Welfare, and Banking Reform in China," Working Papers 302009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Judit Temesváry, 2014. "Explaining the Differences between Local Currency versus FX-denominated Loans and Deposits in the Central-Eastern European Economies," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1405, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Várhegyi, Éva, 2010.
"A válság hatása a magyarországi bankversenyre
[The effect of the crisis on bank competition in Hungary]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(10), pages 825-846.
- M. Girotti & R. Meade, 2017.
"U.S. Savings Banks' Demutualization and Depositor Welfare,"
639, Banque de France.
- Mattia Girotti & Richard Meade, 2017. "U.S. Savings Banks' Demutualization and Depositor Welfare," Working Papers 2017-08 JEL Classificatio, Auckland University of Technology, Department of Economics.
- Molnar, Jozsef & Violi, Roberto & Zhou, Xiaolan, 2013.
"Multimarket contact in Italian retail banking: Competition and welfare,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 368-381.
- Molnar, Jozsef & Violi, Roberto & Zhou, Xiaolan, 2010. "Multimarket Contact in Italian Retail Banking: Competition and Welfare," MPRA Paper 48610, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2013.
- Temesvary, Judit, 2015. "Dynamic branching and interest rate competition of commercial banks: Evidence from Hungary," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 98-110.
- Chun‐Yu Ho, 2015. "Switching Cost And Deposit Demand In China," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 56, pages 723-749, August.
- Kv, Bhanu Murthy & Deb, Ashis Taru, 2008. "Theoretical Framework Of Competition As Applied To Banking Industry," MPRA Paper 7465, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Szabolcs Szikszai & Tamás Badics & Csilla Raffai & Zsolt Stenger & András Tóthmihály, 2013. "Studies in Financial Systems No 8 Hungary," FESSUD studies fstudy08, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Chun-Yu Ho, 2010.
"Deregulation, competition and consumer welfare in a banking market: evidence from Hong Kong,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 70-97, February.
- Chun-Yu Ho, 2007. "Deregulation, Competition and Consumer Welfare in Banking Market: Evidence from Hong Kong," Working Papers 242007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Király, Júlia & Nagy, Márton & Banai, Ádám, 2010.
"Az aranykor vége Magyarországon. "Külföldi" és "lokális" bankok - válság előtt és válság után
[End of the golden age in Hungary. "Foreign" and "local" banks ," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(2), pages 105-131.
More about this item
KeywordsDemand; discrete choice; product differentiation; banking; market power.;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-03-10 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2007-03-10 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-DCM-2007-03-10 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-MIC-2007-03-10 (Microeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mnb:wpaper:2007/1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lorant Kaszab) or (Candi Patterson) or (Katrina Wingle). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/mnbgvhu.html .