Is it all about Money? A Randomized Evaluation of the Impact of Insurance Literacy and Marketing Treatments on the Demand for Health Microinsurance in Senegal
In Senegal mutual health organizations (MHOs) have been present in the greater region of Thiès for years. Despite their benefits, in some areas there remain low take-up rates. We offer an insurance literacy module, communicating the benefits from health microinsurance and the functioning of MHOs, to a randomly selected sample of households in the city of Thiès. The effects of this training, and three cross-cutting marketing treatments, are evaluated using a randomized control trial. We find that the insurance literacy module has no impact, but that our marketing treatment has a significant effect on the take up decisions of households.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Ateneo Nuovo, 1 Milano 20126|
Phone: +39 02 6448 3089
Fax: +39 02 6448 3085
Web page: http://dems.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcel Fafchamps & Susan Lund, 2000.
"Risk-Sharing Networks in Rural Philippines,"
Economics Series Working Papers
10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005. "Using Experimental Economics to Measure Social Capital And Predict Financial Decisions," Working Papers 909, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Matthew Jowett, 2003. "Do informal risk sharing networks crowd out public voluntary health insurance? Evidence from Vietnam," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(10), pages 1153-1161.
- Maarten Voors & Eleonora Nillesen & Philip Verwimp & Erwin Bulte & Robert Lensink & Daan van Soest, 2010.
"Does Conflict affect Preferences? Results from Field Experiments in Burundi,"
HiCN Working Papers
71, Households in Conflict Network.
- M. Voorst & E. Nillesen & Philip Verwimp & E. Bulte & Robert Lensink & D. van Soest, 2010. "Does conflict affect preferences? Results from field experiments in Burundi," Working Papers ECARES 2010_006, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Maarten Voors & Eleonora Nillesen & Philip Verwimp & Erwin Bulte & Robert Lensink & Daan van Soest, 2010. "Does Conflict affect Preferences? Results from Field Experiments in Burundi," Research Working Papers 21, MICROCON - A Micro Level Analysis of Violent Conflict.
- Poletti, Tim & Balabanova, Dina & Ghazaryan, Olga & Kocharyan, Hasmik & Hakobyan, Margarita & Arakelyan, Karen & Normand, Charles, 2007. "The desirability and feasibility of scaling up community health insurance in low-income settings--Lessons from Armenia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 509-520, February.
- Xavier Giné & Robert M. Townsend & James Vickery, 2007.
"Patterns of rainfall insurance participation in rural India,"
302, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Xavier Giné & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2008. "Patterns of Rainfall Insurance Participation in Rural India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 539-566, October.
- Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert & Vickery, James, 2007. "Patternsof rainfall insurance participation in rural India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4408, The World Bank.
- Dean Karlan, 2004.
"Using experimental economics to measure social capital and predict financial decisions,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00074, The Field Experiments Website.
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005. "Using Experimental Economics to Measure Social Capital and Predict Financial Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1688-1699, December.
- Hongbin Cai & Yuyu Chen & Hanming Fang & Li-An Zhou, 2009.
"Microinsurance, Trust and Economic Development: Evidence from a Randomized Natural Field Experiment,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
09-034, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Hongbin Cai & Yuyu Chen & Hanming Fang & Li-An Zhou, 2009. "Microinsurance, Trust and Economic Development: Evidence from a Randomized Natural Field Experiment," NBER Working Papers 15396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Kimberly V. & Sulzbach, Sara, 2008. "Community-based health insurance and access to maternal health services: Evidence from three West African countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2460-2473, June.
- Robert M. Townsend & Shawn Cole & Jeremy Tobacman & Xavier Gine & James Ian Vickery & Petia Topalova, 2012.
"Barriers to Household Risk Management; Evidence from India,"
IMF Working Papers
12/195, International Monetary Fund.
- Shawn Cole & Xavier Gine & Jeremy Tobacman & Petia Topalova & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2013. "Barriers to Household Risk Management: Evidence from India," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 104-35, January.
- Shawn Cole & Xavier Giné & Jeremy Tobacman & Petia Topalova & Robert M. Townsend & James Vickery, 2009. "Barriers to household risk management: evidence from India," Staff Reports 373, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Cole, Shawn & Gine, Xavier & Tobacman, Jeremy & Topalova, Petia & Townsend, Robert & Vickery, James, 2010. "Barriers to household risk management : evidence from India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5504, The World Bank.
- Petia Topalova & Shawn Cole & Xavier Gene & Jeremy Tobacman & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2011. "Barriers to Household Risk Management: Evidence from India," Working Papers id:4293, eSocialSciences.
- Seiro ITO & Hisaki KONO, 2010. "Why Is The Take-Up Of Microinsurance So Low? Evidence From A Health Insurance Scheme In India," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 48(1), pages 74-101.
- Rebecca L. Thornton & Laurel E. Hatt & Erica M. Field & Mursaleena Islam & Freddy Solís Diaz & Martha Azucena González, 2010. "Social security health insurance for the informal sector in Nicaragua: a randomized evaluation," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(S1), pages 181-206, September.
- Christian Morrisson, 2002. "Health, Education and Poverty Reduction," OECD Development Centre Policy Briefs 19, OECD Publishing.
- Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert & Vickery, James, 2007.
"Statistical analysis of rainfall insurance payouts in southern India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4426, The World Bank.
- Xavier Giné & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2007. "Statistical Analysis of Rainfall Insurance Payouts in Southern India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1248-1254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mib:wpaper:216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.