Stability and Growth Pact: An Index to Trigger an Early Warning Earlier?
This paper addresses the question of a technical change in one the components of the Stability and Grown Pact (SGP). Indeed, the SGP is composed of (1) a political commitment, (2) a preventive element, and (3) a dissuasive element, and an improvement of the SGP efficacy can come from any of these three components. In this paper the author proposes a new early warning procedure, part of the preventive element. The ideal situation would be for the European Commission to be able to identify countries at risk as soon as they vote their national budgets. Although this is not possible, as the measures of the deficit are based on GDP forecasts, the conclusion this paper makes is that the EC should avoid relying on GDP forecasts by calculating a reference index.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bohn, H., 1990.
"The Sutainability Of Budget Deficits In A Stochastic Economy,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
6-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Bohn, Henning, 1995. "The Sustainability of Budget Deficits in a Stochastic Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 257-71, February.
- Fourçans André & Warin Thierry & Evans John T. & Hens Luc & Saenen Bert & Abid Fathi & Mikhail Azmi D. & Salehizadeh Mehdi, 2000. "Global Economy Quarterly, Issue 3," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 1-109, December.
- Amador, Joao L. M., 2000.
"Fiscal Policy and Budget Deficit Stability in a Continuous Time Stochastic Economy,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp384, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Joao L.M. Amador, 2000. "Fiscal Policy And Budget Deficit Stability In A Continuous Time Stochastic Economy," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 27, Society for Computational Economics.
- Lars Jonung & Martin Larch, 2006.
"Improving fiscal policy in the EU: the case for independent forecasts,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(47), pages 491-534, 07.
- Lars Jonung & Martin Larch, 2004. "Improving fiscal policy in the EU: the case for independent forecasts," European Economy - Economic Papers 210, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Vranceanu, Radu & Warin, Thierry, 2001. "EMU: Optimal Fiscal Strategy and the Punishment Effectiveness," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 494-504, August.
- Leith, Campbell & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 2006.
"Compatibility between monetary and fiscal policy under EMU,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1529-1556, August.
- Campbell leith & Simon Wren-Lewis, . "Compatibility Between Monetary and Fiscal Policy Under EMU," Working Papers 2001_15, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Leith, Campbell & Simon Wren-Lewis, 2002. "Compatibility Between Monetary and Fiscal Policy Under EMU," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 124, Royal Economic Society.
- Otmar Issing, 2002. "On Macroeconomic Policy Co-ordination in EMU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 345-358, 06.
- Dixit, Avinash & Lambertini, Luisa, 2001. "Monetary-fiscal policy interactions and commitment versus discretion in a monetary union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 977-987, May.
- Nielsen, Soren Bo, 1992.
"A note on the sustainability of primary budget deficits,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 745-754.
- Søren Bo Nielsen, 1991. "A Note on the Sustainability of Primary Budget Deficits," Discussion Papers 91-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Thierry Warin & Lindsay Wolff, 2005. "EuropeÕs Deficit Free Riders: A Panel Data Analysis," European Political Economy Review, European Political Economy Infrastructure Consortium, vol. 3(Spring), pages 5-17.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995.
"The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility,"
DELTA Working Papers
95-24, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "The interaction of fiscal and monetary policy in a monetary union : Balancing credibility and flexibility," Discussion Paper 1995-101, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma Roel M.W.J., 1996. "The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility," Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Francesco P. Mongelli, 1996. "The Effects of the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU)on National Fiscal Sustainability," IMF Working Papers 96/72, International Monetary Fund.
- Perotti, Roberto & Strauch, Rolf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1997. "Sustainability of Public Finances," CEPR Discussion Papers 1781, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Uhlig, Harald, 2002. "One Money, but Many Fiscal Policies in Europe: What Are the Consequences?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3296, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Buti & Gabriele Giudice, 2002. "Maastricht's Fiscal Rules at Ten: An Assessment," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 823-848, December.
- Dixit, Avinash, 2001. "Games of monetary and fiscal interactions in the EMU," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 589-613, May.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:1995101 is not listed on IDEAS
- W. Bolt, 1999. "Fiscal Restraints, ECB Credibility and the Stability Pact:A Game-Theoretic Perspective," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 38, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Thierry Warin, 2004. "Should Europe Get Rid of the Stability and Growth Pact?," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0415, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mdl:mdlpap:0502. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vijaya Wunnava)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.