Should Europe Get Rid of the Stability and Growth Pact?
The paper addresses the question of the abolition of the Stability and Growth Pact. More and more authors and policymakers are arising the negative impacts of the European deficit rule on te countries and their ability to respond an asymmetric economic shock. Some others are asking for a redefinition of the Pact. If the focus is only fiscal and in light of the non-respect of the Pact by two of the biggest countries in Europe since its implementation, it could be demonstrated that the SGP needs at least a reexamination. To the converse, if we introduce into the analysis its impacts on the European structural policies, things are different and getting rid of the SGP could hinder the still up-to-date convergence prospective. Indeed, this paper proposed a theoretical analysis of the SGP that emphasizes a new feature of the SGP: a strong incentive to structural reforms.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1992.
"Fiscal policy in monetary unions: implications for Europe,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
92-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1993. "Fiscal policy in monetary unions: Implications for Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 39-65, March.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995.
"The interaction of fiscal and monetary policy in a monetary union : Balancing credibility and flexibility,"
1995-101, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility," DELTA Working Papers 95-24, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Beetsma Roel M.W.J., 1996. "The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility," Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Buiter, W.H. & Corsetti, G. & Roubini, N., 1992.
"Excessive Deficits: Sense and Nonsence in the Treaty of Maastricht,"
674, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Corsetti, Giancarlo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1992. "`Excessive Deficits': Sense and Nonsense in the Treaty of Maastricht," CEPR Discussion Papers 750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990.
"Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
478, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1991. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," NBER Working Papers 3579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt40m5g6pp, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," Economics Working Papers 90-151, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jay H. Bryson, 1994. "Fiscal policy coordination and flexibility under European Monetary Union: implications for macroeconomic stabilization," International Finance Discussion Papers 467, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Beetsma, Roel & Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "An Analysis of the Stability and Growth Pact," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(458), pages 546-71, October.
- Bryson, Jay H., 1994. "Fiscal policy coordination and flexibility under European Monetary Union: Implications for macroeconomic stabilization," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 541-557, December.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The Stability Pact: more than a minor nuisance?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 65-113, 04.
- Andersen, Torben M. & Sorensen, Jan Rose, 1995. "Unemployment and fiscal policy in an economic and monetary union," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Antonio Fat·s & Ilian Mihov, 2003. "On Constraining Fiscal Policy Discretion in EMU," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 112-131.
- Vranceanu, Radu & Warin, Thierry, 2001. "EMU: Optimal Fiscal Strategy and the Punishment Effectiveness," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 494-504, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mdl:mdlpap:0415. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vijaya Wunnava)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.