Matching higher education and labour market in the knowledge economy: the much needed reform of university governance in Italy
In the knowledge economy and current public finance constraints, matching higher education and labour market is not one of the main issues in higher education policy sustainability: it is “the issue”. Being universities’ sources of funding almost entirely domestic and in most countries primarily governmental, politicians are expected to ensure that the increasing public investment in higher education is justified by the fact that the benefits are captured by domestic workers and investors. In doing so they must avoid disrupting the international and free community of scholars and students pursuing knowledge, killing the goose that laid the golden eggs for so long. The European debate and frontiers of research concerning the interactions between universities and labour markets are analyzed. The much needed reform of university governance in Italy is evaluated in its premises and implications for the matching of higher education and labour market.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Oberdan, 3, 62100 Macerata|
Web page: http://www2.unimc.it/sviluppoeconomico
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luciana Lazzeretti & Ernesto Tavoletti, 2005. "Higher Education Excellence and Local Economic Development: The Case of the Entrepreneurial University of Twente," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 475-493, April.
- Ernesto Tavoletti, 2007. "Assessing the Regional Economic Impact of Higher Education Institutions: An Application to the University of Cardiff," Transition Studies Review, Springer;Central Eastern European University Network (CEEUN), vol. 14(3), pages 507-522, December.
- Pestieau, Pierre, 2005. "The Welfare State in the European Union: Economic and Social Perspectives," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261024, April.
- Ernesto Tavoletti, 2005. "Higher education and high intellectual unemployment: does education matter? An interpretation and some critical perspectives," Chapters, in: Regional Economies as Knowledge Laboratories, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Machin, Steve, 1994.
"Changes in the Relative Demand for Skills in the UK Labour Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
952, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Machin, 1995. "Changes in the Relative Demand for Skills in the UK Labour Market," CEP Discussion Papers dp0221, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcr:wpaper:wpaper00027. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo Sampaoli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.