The local and regional economic role of universities: the case of the University of Cardiff
The paper evaluates the regional and local economic impact of the University of Cardiff, dividing its effects into two major sides: ”expenditure impacts” and ”knowledge impacts”. It reviews the major tools and methodologies available in the literature to assess the two sides. It measures the ”expenditure impact” in the financial year 2000-2001 through a Keynesian multiplier model developed by the Centre for Advanced Social Studies (CASS) in order to compare that same impact in the financial year 1994-1995. It assesses the university’s ”knowledge impact” through two main variables: 1) employment and destination of graduates or ”people impact”; 2) kind of knowledge produced. It concludes that Cardiff University’s graduates enjoy a full-employment and, according to our conceptual framework (Tavoletti, 2005), it classifies Cardiff’s higher education system as ”non-active” positional competition and ”social knowledge” production.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Oberdan, 3, 62100 Macerata|
Web page: http://www2.unimc.it/sviluppoeconomico
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luciana Lazzeretti & Ernesto Tavoletti, 2005. "Higher Education Excellence and Local Economic Development: The Case of the Entrepreneurial University of Twente," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 475-493, April.
- Ernesto Tavoletti, 2005. "Higher education and high intellectual unemployment: does education matter? An interpretation and some critical perspectives," Chapters, in: Regional Economies as Knowledge Laboratories, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- J.A. Lewis, 1988. "Assessing the Effect of the Polytechnic, Wolverhampton on the Local Community," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 25(1), pages 53-61, February.
- Andersson, Ake E. & Anderstig, Christer & Harsman, Bjorn, 1990. "Knowledge and communications infrastructure and regional economic change," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 359-376, November.
- Rip, Arie, 2002. "Regional Innovation Systems and the Advent of Strategic Science," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 123-31, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcr:wpaper:wpaper00009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo Sampaoli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.