Automatic Certification or Mandatory Representation Votes? How the choice of union recogntion procedure affects union certification success
Cross-section time-series analysis of nine Canadian jurisdictions over nineteen years is used to identify the effect of mandatory votes/card check on certification success. The results indicate that mandatory votes reduce certification success rates by approximately 9 percentage points below what they would have been under card check. This result is robust across specifications and significant at above the 99 per cent confidence level.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ellwood, David T & Fine, Glenn, 1987. "The Impact of Right-to-Work Laws on Union Organizing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 250-73, April.
- William N. Cooke, 1983. "Determinants of the outcomes of union certification elections," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 36(3), pages 402-414, April.
- Terry Thomason, 1994. "The effect of accelerated certification procedures on union organizing success in Ontario," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(2), pages 207-226, January.
- Felice Martinello, 2000. "Mr. Harris, Mr. Rae and Union Activity in Ontario," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 26(1), pages 17-33, March.
- W. Craig Riddell, 1993.
"Unionization in Canada and the United States: A Tale of Two Countries,"
in: Small Differences That Matter: Labor Markets and Income Maintenance in Canada and the United States, pages 109-148
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Riddell, W.C., 1993. "Unionization in Canada and the United States: A Tale of Two Countries," Papers 1993-1, Queen's at Kingston - Sch. of Indus. Relat. Papers in Industrial Relations.
- William T. Dickens, 1983. "The effect of company campaigns on certification elections: "Law and Reality" once again," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 36(4), pages 560-575, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:deptwp:1999-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.