Modelling and Forecasting Mobile Telecommunication Services: The case of Greece
In this paper we try to model the adoption pattern of mobile telecommunication services into the Greek market for the period from 1993 to 2005. Two separate sigmoid curves, the Gompertz and the Logistic, are fitted to the observed number of subscribers by means of non-linear least squares. The in-sample fit to data favoured the use of the Logistic curve in describing the diffusion process, fact which is further supported by Frances’ parametric test (1994b). The dominance of the Logistic curve over the Gompertz is also verified via a pseudo out-of-sample forecasting exercise. Furthermore, an attempt is made to predict the expected number of subscribers up to 2015, solely based on the Logistic curve. Taking into account the prediction’s uncertainty, the variance of the forecast errors is calculated utilising the non-parametric bootstrap method. Our empirical results reached to three conclusions. First, the introduction of the pre-paid mobile telephony in 1997 along with the entry of the third mobile operator in 1998 has boosted the diffusion process in Greece; second, the levelling-off process in the diffusion of mobile phones has already begun; finally, the average expected growth rate in new subscribers is less than half percent for the period between 2006 and 2015.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, David I & Leybourne, Stephen J & Newbold, Paul, 1998. "Tests for Forecast Encompassing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 254-59, April.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2001.
"The diffusion of mobile telecommunications services in the European Union,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 577-588, March.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 1999. "The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 2054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gruber, H. & Verboven, F.L., 1998. "The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union," Discussion Paper 1998-138, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Silvia Massini, 2004. "The diffusion of mobile telephony in Italy and the UK: an empirical investigation," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 251-277.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Minkyu Lee & Youngsang Cho, 2007. "The diffusion of mobile telecommunications services in Korea," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(7), pages 477-481.
- Romeo, Anthony A, 1977. "The Rate of Imitation of a Capital-Embodied Process Innovation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(173), pages 63-69, February.
- Pedro Pereira & José C. Pernías-Cerrillo, 2005. "The Diffusion of Cellular Telephony in Portugal before UMTS: A Time Series Approach," Working Papers 08, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Meade, Nigel & Islam, Towhidul, 2006. "Modelling and forecasting the diffusion of innovation - A 25-year review," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 519-545.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcd:mcddps:2009_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.