Seasonal Mackey-Glass-GARCH process and short-term dynamics
The aim of this article is the study of complex structures which are behind the short-term predictability of stock returns series. In this regard, we employ a seasonal version of the Mackey-Glass-GARCH(p,q) model, initially proposed by Kyrtsou and Terraza (2003) and generalized by Kyrtsou (2005, 2006). It has either negligible or significant autocorrelations in the conditional mean, and a rich structure in the conditional variance. To reveal short or long memory components and non-linear structures in the French Stock Exchange (CAC40) returns series, we apply the test of Geweke and Porter-Hudak (1983), the Brock et al. (1996) and Dechert (1995) tests, the correlation-dimension method of Grassberger and Procaccia (1983), the Lyapunov exponents method of Gencay and Dechert (1992), and the Recurrence Quantification Analysis introduced by Webber and Zbilut (1994). As a confirmation procedure of the dynamics generating future movements in CAC40, we forecast the return series using a seasonal Mackey-Glass-GARCH(1,1) model. The interest of the forecasting exercise is found in the inclusion of high-dimensional non-linearities in the mean equation of returns.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Labys, Walter C., 2007. "Detecting positive feedback in multivariate time series: The case of metal prices and US inflation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 377(1), pages 227-229.
- Richard Ashley, 2010.
"On the Origins of Conditional Heteroscedasticity in Time Series,"
e07-23, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Richard Ashley, 2012. "On the Origins of Conditional Heteroscedasticity in Time Series," Korean Economic Review, Korean Economic Association, vol. 28, pages 5-25.
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Vorlow, Costas, 2009.
"Modelling non-linear comovements between time series,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 200-211, March.
- Catherine Kyrtsou & Costas Vorlow, 2008. "Modelling non-linear comovements between time series," Working Papers 2008_01, Durham University Business School.
- A. G. Malliaris & Jerome L. Stein, 2005.
"Methodological issues in asset pricing: Random walk or chaotic dynamics,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Economic Uncertainty, Instabilities And Asset Bubbles Selected Essays, chapter 8, pages 85-115
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Malliaris, A. G. & Stein, Jerome L., 1999. "Methodological issues in asset pricing: Random walk or chaotic dynamics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(11), pages 1605-1635, November.
- Goffe, William L. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Rogers, John, 1994. "Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 65-99.
- Jorge Belaire-Franch, & Dulce Contreras & Lorena Tordera-Lledo, 2002. "Assessing Non-Linear Structures in Real Exchange Rates Using Recurrence Plot Strategies," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 239, Society for Computational Economics.
- Catherine Kyrtsou & Michel Terraza, 2003. "Is it Possible to Study Chaotic and ARCH Behaviour Jointly? Application of a Noisy Mackey–Glass Equation with Heteroskedastic Errors to the Paris Stock Exchange Returns Series," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 21(3), pages 257-276, June.
- Cars H. Hommes, 2005.
"Heterogeneous Agent Models in Economics and Finance,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-056/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hommes, Cars H., 2006. "Heterogeneous Agent Models in Economics and Finance," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: Leigh Tesfatsion & Kenneth L. Judd (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1109-1186 Elsevier.
- Carl Chiarella & Roberto Dieci & Laura Gardini, 2001.
"Speculative Behaviour and Complex Asset Price Dynamics,"
Research Paper Series
49, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Chiarella, Carl & Dieci, Roberto & Gardini, Laura, 2002. "Speculative behaviour and complex asset price dynamics: a global analysis," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 173-197, October.
- Brock, William A. & Hommes, Cars H., 1998.
"Heterogeneous beliefs and routes to chaos in a simple asset pricing model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1235-1274, August.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H., 1996. "Hetergeneous Beliefs and Routes to Chaos in a Simple Asset Pricing Model," Working papers 9621, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Lux, Thomas, 1998. "The socio-economic dynamics of speculative markets: interacting agents, chaos, and the fat tails of return distributions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 143-165, January.
- Belaire-Franch, Jorge, 2004. "Testing for non-linearity in an artificial financial market: a recurrence quantification approach," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 483-494, August.
- Hommes, Cars H. & Manzan, Sebastiano, 2006. "Comments on "Testing for nonlinear structure and chaos in economic time series"," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 169-174, March.
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Labys, Walter C., 2006. "Evidence for chaotic dependence between US inflation and commodity prices," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 256-266, March.
- Beller, Kenneth & Nofsinger, John R, 1998. "On Stock Return Seasonality and Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(2), pages 229-246, Summer.
- Strozzi, Fernanda & Zaldı́var, José-Manuel & Zbilut, Joseph P, 2002. "Application of nonlinear time series analysis techniques to high-frequency currency exchange data," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 312(3), pages 520-538.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-547, August.
- Shu-Heng Chen & Thomas Lux & Michele Marchesi, 1999.
"Testing for Non-Linear Structure in an Artificial Financial Market,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
447, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Chen, Shu-Heng & Lux, Thomas & Marchesi, Michele, 2001. "Testing for non-linear structure in an artificial financial market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 327-342, November.
- Lux, Thomas, 1995. "Herd Behaviour, Bubbles and Crashes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 881-896, July.
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Terraza, Michel, 2002. "Stochastic chaos or ARCH effects in stock series?: A comparative study," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 407-431.
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Malliaris, Anastasios G., 2009. "The impact of information signals on market prices when agents have non-linear trading rules," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 167-176, January.
- Gaunersdorfer, Andrea, 2000. "Endogenous fluctuations in a simple asset pricing model with heterogeneous agents," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-7), pages 799-831, June.
- Catherine Kyrtsou & Walter C. Labys & Michel Terraza, 2004. "Noisy chaotic dynamics in commodity markets," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 489-502, 09.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcd:mcddps:2008_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.