Modelling non-linear comovements between time series
The main objective of this paper is to employ a new dynamic model that combines the bivariate noisy Mackeyâ€“Glass recently proposed by Kyrtsou and Labys [Kyrtsou, C., Labys, W., 2006. Evi- dence for chaotic dependence between US inflation and commodity prices. Journal of Macroeco- nomics 28(1), 256â€“266; Kyrtsou, C., Labys, W., 2007. Detecting positive feedback in multivariate time series: the case of metal prices and US inflation. Physica A 377(1), 227â€“229.] and the BEKK Garch processes. An empirical exercise using the US effective Federal fund rates and 3-month T-Bill rates will show that for specific time periods the comovements between series are due to inherent non-linear deterministic dynamics.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Durham University Business School, Mill Hill Lane, Durham DH1 3LB, England|
Phone: +44 (0)191 334 5200
Fax: +44 (0)191 334 5201
Web page: http://www.dur.ac.uk/business
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Froyen, Richard T. & Waud, Roger N., 2002. "The determinants of Federal Reserve policy actions: A re-examination," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 413-428, September.
- Jean Luc De Meulemeester & Claude Diebolt, 2007. "How much could economics gain from history: the contribution of cliometrics," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13500, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jess Benhabib & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001.
"Chaotic Interest Rate Rules,"
Departmental Working Papers
200109, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L., 2003.
"The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1079-1110, June.
- Lucio Sarno & Daniel L. Thornton, 2002. "The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: an empirical investigation," Working Papers 2000-032, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L, 2002. "The Dynamic Relationship Between the Federal Funds rate and the Treasury Bill Rate: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Paul Brockman & Mustafa Chowdhury, 1997. "Deterministic versus stochastic volatility: implications for option pricing models," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 499-505.
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Labys, Walter C., 2007. "Detecting positive feedback in multivariate time series: The case of metal prices and US inflation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 377(1), pages 227-229.
- James B. Bullard & Alison Butler, 1992.
"Nonlinearity and chaos in economic models: implications for policy decisions,"
1991-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Bullard, James & Butler, Alison, 1993. "Nonlinearity and Chaos in Economic Models: Implications for Policy Decisions," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 849-67, July.
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Labys, Walter C., 2006. "Evidence for chaotic dependence between US inflation and commodity prices," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 256-266, March.
- repec:afc:cliome:v:1:y:2007:i:1:p:7-17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Malliaris, Anastasios G., 2009. "The impact of information signals on market prices when agents have non-linear trading rules," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 167-176, January.
- Haug Alfred A & Siklos Pierre L, 2006. "The Behavior of Short-Term Interest Rates: International Evidence of Non-Linear Adjustment," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(4), pages 1-34, December.
- Bali, Turan G. & Wu, Liuren, 2006. "A comprehensive analysis of the short-term interest-rate dynamics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1269-1290, April.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1975. "An Equilibrium Model of the Business Cycle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1113-44, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dur:durham:2008_01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IT Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.