Supply Shocks and the Cyclical Behaviour of Bank Lending Rates under the Basel Accords
This paper examines the cyclical e¤ects of bank capital requirements in a simple macro model with credit market frictions. A bank capital channel is introduced through a monitoring incentive effect of bank capital buffers on the repayment probability and hence the loan rate. We also identify a collateral channel, which mitigates moral hazard behaviour by firms, and therefore raises their repayment probability. Basel I and Basel II regulatory regimes are then defined, with a distinction made between the Standardized and Foundation Internal Ratings Based (IRB) approaches of Basel II. We analyze the role of the bank capital and collateral channels in the transmission of supply shocks, and show that depending on the strength of these channels, the loan rate can either amplify or mitigate the e¤ects of the shock. Finally, the relative impact of the two channels also determines which of the regulatory regimes is most procyclical.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/our-research/centre-for-growth-and-business-cycle-research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ines Drumond, 2009.
"Bank Capital Requirements, Business Cycle Fluctuations And The Basel Accords: A Synthesis,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(5), pages 798-830, December.
- Inês Drumond, 2008. "Bank Capital Requirements, Business Cycle Fluctuations and the Basel Accords: A Synthesis," FEP Working Papers 277, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Alvaro Aguiar & Ines Drumond, 2007. "Business Cycle and Bank Capital: Monetary Policy Transmission under the Basel Accords," FEP Working Papers 242, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Agénor, P.-R. & Alper, K. & Pereira da Silva, L., 2009.
"Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5151, The World Bank.
- Agénor, P.-R. & Alper, K. & Pereira da Silva, L., 2012. "Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 687-705.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper & Luiz Pereira da Silva, 2009. "Capital Requirements and Business Cycles with Credit Market Imperfections," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 124, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Pierre-Richard & K. Alper & L. Pereira da Silva, 2011. "Capital Requirements and Business Cycles with Credit Market Imperfections," Working Papers Series 231, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Heid, Frank, 2007. "The cyclical effects of the Basel II capital requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3885-3900, December.
- Misa Tanaka, 2002. "How Do Bank Capital and Capital Adequacy Regulation Affect the Monetary Transmission Mechanism?," CESifo Working Paper Series 799, CESifo Group Munich.
- Anthony Coleman & Neil Esho & Ian Sharpe, 2006. "Does Bank Monitoring Influence Loan Contract Terms?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 177-198, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:cgbcrp:161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.