Cyclical Effects of Bank Capital Requirements with Imperfect Credit Markets
This paper analyzes the cyclical effects of bank capital requirements in a simple model with credit market imperfections. Lending rates are set as a premium over the cost of borrowing from the central bank, with the premium itself depending on firms’ effective collateral. Basel I- and Basel II-type regulatory regimes are defined and a capital channel is introduced through a signaling effect of capital buffers on the cost of bank deposits. The macroeconomic effects of various shocks (a drop in output, an increase in the refinance rate, and a rise in the capital adequacy ratio) are analyzed, under both binding and nonbinding capital requirements. Factors affecting the procyclicality of each regime (defined in terms of the behavior of the risk premium) are also identified and policy implications are discussed.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lea Zicchino, 2006.
"A Model Of Bank Capital, Lending And The Macroeconomy: Basel I Versus Basel Ii,"
University of Manchester, vol. 74(s1), pages 50-77, 09.
- Lea Zicchino, 2005. "A model of bank capital, lending and the macro economy: Basel I versus Basel II," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 88, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Lea Zicchino, 2005. "A model of bank capital, lending and the macroeconomy: Basel I versus Basel II," Bank of England working papers 270, Bank of England.
- Patrick Van Roy, 2008. "Capital Requirements and Bank Behaviour in the Early 1990: Cross-Country Evidence," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(3), pages 29-60, September.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Lianfa Li, 2008.
"Do Capital Adequacy Requirements Matter For Monetary Policy?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(4), pages 643-659, October.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Lianfi Li, 2005. "Do Capital Adequacy Requirements Matter for Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 11830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Peter J. Montiel, 2007.
"Monetary Policy Analysis in a Small Open Credit-Based Economy,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
90, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Peter Montiel, 2008. "Monetary Policy Analysis in a Small Open Credit-Based Economy," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 423-455, September.
- Pierre-Richard Agenor & Koray Alper, 2009.
"Monetary Shocks and Central Bank Liquidity with Credit Market Imperfections,"
0906, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper, 2012. "Monetary shocks and central bank liquidity with credit market imperfections," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(3), pages 563-591, July.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper, 2009. "Monetary Shocks and Central Bank Liquidity with Credit Market Imperfections," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 120, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Blum, Jurg & Hellwig, Martin, 1995. "The macroeconomic implications of capital adequacy requirements for banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 739-749, April.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Giovanni Ferri & Giovanni Majnoni, 2000.
"The Macroeconomic Impact Of Bank Capital Requirements In Emerging Economies: Past Evidence To Assess The Future,"
0002, Dipartimento di Scienze economiche e metodi matematici - Università di Bari, revised Sep 2000.
- Concetta Chiuri, Maria & Ferri, Giovanni & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2002. "The macroeconomic impact of bank capital requirements in emerging economies: Past evidence to assess the future," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 881-904, May.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Ferri, Giovanni & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001. "The macroeconomic impact of bank capital requirements in emerging economies - past evidence to assess the future," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2605, The World Bank.
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio, Jr. & Ross Levine, 2002.
"Bank Regulation and Supervision: What Works Best?,"
NBER Working Papers
9323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr., Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001. "Bank regulation and supervision : what works best?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2725, The World Bank.
- Misa Tanaka, 2002. "How Do Bank Capital and Capital Adequacy Regulation Affect the Monetary Transmission Mechanism?," CESifo Working Paper Series 799, CESifo Group Munich.
- Heid, Frank, 2007. "The cyclical effects of the Basel II capital requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3885-3900, December.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2008.
"The Procyclical Effects Of Basel Ii,"
- Ines Drumond, 2009.
"Bank Capital Requirements, Business Cycle Fluctuations And The Basel Accords: A Synthesis,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(5), pages 798-830, December.
- Inês Drumond, 2008. "Bank Capital Requirements, Business Cycle Fluctuations and the Basel Accords: A Synthesis," FEP Working Papers 277, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Chen, Nan-Kuang, 2001. "Bank net worth, asset prices and economic activity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 415-436, October.
- Gordy, Michael B. & Howells, Bradley, 2006. "Procyclicality in Basel II: Can we treat the disease without killing the patient?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 395-417, July.
- VanHoose, David, 2007. "Theories of bank behavior under capital regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3680-3697, December.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2004. "A model of the monetary sector with and without binding capital requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 633-646, March.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Paul A. J. Metzemakers, 2007.
"Is Bank Capital Procyclical? A Cross-Country Analysis,"
Credit and Capital Markets,
Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 40(2), pages 225-264.
- Jaap Bikker & Paul Metzemakers, 2004. "Is bank capital procyclical? A cross-country analysis," DNB Working Papers 009, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Rochet, J C., 2008. "Procyclicality of financial systems: is there a need to modify current accounting and regulatory rules?," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 12, pages 95-99, October.
- Honda, Yuzo, 2004. "Bank capital regulations and the transmission mechanism," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 675-688, September.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1992. "Capital requirements and the behaviour of commercial banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1137-1170, June.
- Ayuso, Juan & Perez, Daniel & Saurina, Jesus, 2004. "Are capital buffers pro-cyclical?: Evidence from Spanish panel data," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 249-264, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcb:wpaper:234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.