Spatial and Inter-temporal Sources of Poverty, Inequality and Gender Disparities in Cameroon: a Regression-Based Decomposition Analysis
This study applies the regression-based inequality decomposition technique to explain poverty and inequality trends in Cameroon. We also identify gender related factors which explain income disparities and discrimination based on the 2001 and 2007 Cameroon household consumption surveys. The results show that education, health, employment in the formal sector, age cohorts, household size, gender, ownership of farmland and urban versus rural residence explain household economic wellbeing; disparities in income inequality between male- and female-headed households are largely explained by education, the share of active household members, employment in the formal sector, household size and health. The study concludes that public interventions which encourage education for all, employment and rural development in Cameroon have some prospects of addressing gender-based inequality in Cameroon.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Seve, Québec, Québec, G1V 0A6|
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitrakos Theodore, 2008. "Child Poverty: Recent Developments and Determinants," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 30, pages 57-85, May.
- Andrew Mckay, 1997. "Poverty Reduction Through Economic Growth: Some Issues," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 665-673.
- Ahuja, Vinod & Filmer, Deon, 1995. "Educational attainments in developing countries : new estimates and projections disaggregated by gender," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1489, The World Bank.
- Gunewardena, Dileni & Van de Walle, Dominique, 2000.
"Sources of ethnic inequality in Vietnam,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2297, The World Bank.
- Glewwe, P., 1990.
"Investigating The Determinants Of Household Welfare In Cote D'Ivoire,"
71, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Glewwe, Paul, 1991. "Investigating the determinants of household welfare in Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 307-337, April.
- François Bourguignon & Francisco Ferreira & Phillippe Leite, 2008.
"Beyond Oaxaca–Blinder: Accounting for differences in household income distributions,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 117-148, June.
- François Bourguignon & Ferreira Francisco H. G. & Philippe G. Leite, 2008. "Beyond Oaxaca-Blinder: Accounting for differences in household income distributions," Post-Print halshs-00754283, HAL.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2006:i:8:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Greenacre, 2008. "Correspondence analysis of raw data," Economics Working Papers 1112, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2009.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2004. "A Review of Decomposition of Income Inequality," IZA Discussion Papers 1221, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christophe Nordman & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & François Roubaud, 2009. "Decomposing Gender and Ethnic Earnings Gaps in Seven West African Cities," Working Papers DT/2009/07, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Quisumbing, Agnes R., 2001.
"Control and ownership of assets within rural Ethiopian households,"
120, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- M. Fafchamps & A. R. Quisumbing, 2002. "Control and Ownership of Assets Within Rural Ethiopian Households," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 47-82.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Quisumbing, Agnes R., 2001. "Control and ownership of assets within rural Ethiopian households," FCND discussion papers 120, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Agnes Quisumbing, 2000. "Control and ownership of assets within rural Ethiopian households," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-27, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Agnes R Quisumbing, 2000. "Control and Ownership of Assets Within Rural Ethiopian Households," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2000-27, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Debra Shepherd, 2008. "Post-Apartheid Trends in Gender Discrimination in South Africa: Analysis through Decomposition Techniques," Working Papers 06/2008, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Geda, A. & de Jong, N. & Mwabu, G. & Kimenyi, M.S., 2001.
"Determinants of poverty in Kenya : a household level analysis,"
ISS Working Papers - General Series
19095, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Alemayehu Geda & Niek de Jong & Mwangi S. Kimenyi & Germano Mwabu, 2005. "Determinants of Poverty in Kenya: A Household Level Analysis," Working papers 2005-44, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Celestin Chameni Nembua, 2006. "A note on the decomposition of the coefficient of variation squared: comparing entropy and Dagum's methods," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(8), pages 1-8.
- Maria Ana Lugo, 2005. "Comparing Multidimensional Indices of Inequality: methods and application," Working Papers 14, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jonathan Morduch & Terry Sicular, 2002.
"Rethinking Inequality Decomposition, With Evidence from Rural China,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 93-106, January.
- Jonathan Morduch & Terry Sicular, 1998. "Rethinking Inequality Decomposition, with Evidence from Rural China," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1831, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Datt, Gaurav & Jolliffe, Dean, 2005. "Poverty in Egypt: Modeling and Policy Simulations," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(2), pages 327-46, January.
- Rashid Amjad & A.R. Kemal, 1997. "Macroeconomic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 39-68.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:pmmacr:2011-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.